ground cloth preference
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Scalia
(jscalia) - F

Locale: NorthEast
ground cloth preference on 11/27/2009 23:34:23 MST Print View

what type of ground cloth do you use? and how easy is it to fold up/put away? and lastly do you secure the ground cloth so that it doesnt move around?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Dropcloth on 11/28/2009 10:47:03 MST Print View

Right now, for use with a tarp, I just use a 4'x7' piece of 2 mil(?) plastic dropcloth. I don't anchor it. I sloppily fold it, and then stuff it into a small stuffsack.

It works, but I'm planning to switch to a bivy (used with the tarp) with a silnyon bottom, and with an extra coating of thinned silicone caulk on the inside for increased waterproofing and reduced slipperiness.

Edited by AndyF on 11/28/2009 10:49:01 MST.

James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Plastic on 11/28/2009 13:03:57 MST Print View

I too use 2 mil plastic sheeting. I don't anchor it with anything but my stuff. I fold mine up and carry it in an external mesh pocket on my pack.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Dropcloth on 11/28/2009 14:19:16 MST Print View

Surprisingly happy with GG Polycro I got with a box of stuff from gear swap.

Folds down so small. Kinda hard to fold down until you figure out how to do it right. Always give air a way to escape with each fold and push air out with each fold. They are back in their original ziplock. Nice.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Silnylon on 11/28/2009 16:17:37 MST Print View

I use my multi purpose ULA Rain Wrap as a groundsheet. It's made of Silnylon so it's pretty durable. It has a loop at each of the 4 corners, which allows me to stake it. I use 1 gram titanium stakes to stake it down.

-Sid

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 16:32:41 MST Print View

I used to use a 5'x7' piece of tyvek but it was too heavy. I suppose it would be okay for a long backpacking trip where durability is a requirement.

Lately I have been using a AMK Heatsheet blanket. Its much lighter and I suppose it might reflect some body heat, I have no idea.......

I do not stake my ground sheet down. I see no point in doing so.

Joseph

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 16:47:09 MST Print View

I use a 3ftx7ft piece of 4mil plastic sheeting for myself, bigger if sharing a tarp.

cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HUH? on 11/28/2009 20:51:58 MST Print View

The "groundcloth" that I use is the one sewn into my TarpTent Moment.

'Nuf Sed.

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"ground cloth preference" on 11/28/2009 21:01:25 MST Print View

+1 on the GG Polycryo....I was surprised at its durability.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: Swiss Alps / Southern Appalachians
Groundsheet on 11/29/2009 10:49:14 MST Print View

I used to use a tyvek sheet but switched to GG Polycro. I've been very happy with the switch. I'm still on my first sheet after multiple trips in the Smokies and one 6 night trip to Glacier NP. If it's windy I might put rocks on the corners but that's it.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Polycro on 11/29/2009 13:29:14 MST Print View

Polycro when not sleeping in a bivy.

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Re: "ground cloth preference" on 11/29/2009 14:43:35 MST Print View

+2 on the GG Polycryo.... They simply work GREAT, are super light, and I get about 20+ nights out of each mimimum with some care. You can use some light packaging tape to combime two singles to make a larger size ground cloth that still weighs less then most other options.

Edited by kegelhoff on 11/29/2009 14:44:36 MST.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: "ground cloth preference" on 11/29/2009 15:02:32 MST Print View

+3 on the polycro. If I want a larger piece, or don't want to pay for shipping I buy the heat shrink film used to insulate windows. It's the same stuff. Here's an example but I just use the brand available at my local hardware store.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
GG Polycryo on 11/29/2009 18:45:24 MST Print View

Another vote for the GG Polycryo. To carry it, I just shake the dirt off, fold it, and put it in the outer mesh pocket on my pack. In camp, I usually use 4 rocks on the corners to hold it in place so the wind doesn't disturb it. I either cowboy camp or tarp camp so I'm sleeping directly on it rather then through a tent floor.

And it is very durable. On my recent PCT thru-hike, I used 1 from Mexico to the Oregon/Washington border that only had a few duct tape patches to fix a few holes (most of the damage happened early on in the deserts of S. California). It could have gone all the way to Canada but since I had an extra one in my bounce box and I thought it would be nice to have a new one for wet Washington. The one I used for Washington finished with no holes.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: ground cloth preference on 11/29/2009 19:44:35 MST Print View

Tyvek, cut to shape for both my Evolution 2P and Tarptent Sublite. I fold them (dirty side in) and stuff them into the bottom cylinder of my LuxuryLight pack; along with the tent and NeoAir, all wrapped around my NF Beeline.

I do stake the ground cloth down. I have installed grommets in the Tyvek and the stakes hold both the ground cloth and tent. I have found that a brisk wind will blow my ground cloth right out from under the tent.

Edited by redleader on 11/29/2009 19:50:05 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

GG Polycro on 11/30/2009 01:25:43 MST Print View

This year I switch from Tyvek to the poly. I was skepitcal at first. But even with primarily desert use it has held up well.

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:02:41 MST Print View

Where do you guys get your Tyvek? I need a Tyvek sheet but not sure where to find it.

Any ideas?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:42:07 MST Print View

AntiGravity Gear sells sheets for a decent price. I just bought some a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 12:57:25 MST Print View

Do you know any contractors or see any construction in your area? If they are wrapping a house in Tyvek just ask. There will be scraps all over the place that you can put to use.

I still like Polycro since it is so light. I give Tyvek to anyone that does not have a footprint since I can get is now and again.

Scott White
(sdwhitey) - F

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: where do you get Tyvek? on 11/30/2009 15:46:57 MST Print View

Elena:

I got mine from Joe at zpacks.com. He just got back from the CDT and is planning to reopen soon.