Forum Index » Photography » Video Camera Recommendations

Display Avatars Sort By:
(Trooper) - F
Video Camera Recommendations on 11/21/2009 09:35:11 MST Print View

I'm looking for a video camera that will be lightweight and still retain enough quality for internet videos. I use a MacBook Pro which I believe has some simple editing software already installed. I want to avoid purchasing or installing anything new for editing.

Because I will already be carrying a Nikon SLR and occasionally a Horseman 980, I am seriously interested in a lightweight video camera.

What would you recommend?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Video Camera Recommendations on 11/21/2009 17:24:13 MST Print View

Most would simply use the video capability of their point and shoot camera. Here is one, but I don't have it...

http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/kodak_zi8

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
canon on 11/23/2009 13:14:12 MST Print View

a canon s100

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F

Locale: SoCAL
Video Camera Recommendations on 11/25/2009 14:33:49 MST Print View

Last year, I carried a Canon HF100 HD camcorder along with a seperate camera and it took excellent video on my backpacking trips.

For my PCT thru-hike this year, I bought the newer Canon HF S100 HD Camcorder (slighter better video then the HF100, better photos 8meg vs 2meg, and it takes 58mm sized filters) and also used it as my only camera. I was well pleased with it in terms of quality of video/photos and how well it held up over the 5months of travel. However these are probably much better video quality then you are looking for and perhaps heavier then you wanted though they are under a pound.

Edited by Miner on 11/25/2009 14:34:52 MST.

(Trooper) - F
Re: Video Camera Recommendations on 11/25/2009 16:40:26 MST Print View

I looked at the Canon S100, but it is a bit pricey for me right now. It is also more camera than I probably need for hiking, but would be nice to have around the house.

Because I'm putting so much weight and bulk into my SLR or medium format cameras and lenses, I'm looking for the video equivalent to a Point-and-Shoot.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F

Locale: SoCAL
Video Camera Recommendations on 11/25/2009 17:28:37 MST Print View

Another idea would be to check out Sanyo's Xacti line of camcorders. The video quality isn't nearly as good, but they are small and light (even have waterproof or at least resistant models).

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Video Camera Recommendations on 11/26/2009 00:48:13 MST Print View

Xactly..
Yes that can work. The problem with most solid state cameras (the ones that record on flash memory like SD) is the compression. Typically they use AVCHD or some other highly compressed format that is hard to edit. The way out (for U Tube type video clips) is to transfer the footage from the video camera to the PC/Apple via the composite cable (yellow/red/white) .
That transfers the analogue signal at (usually) a lower quality but still much better that needed for the net.
The other trick is to keep any movement (camera and subject) to a minimum and have as many close ups as possible. Digital does not like details, that is grass,waves,leaves and mass movements.
A good example of this technique is found here :
http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2009/11/24-hours-nine-months-til-summer.html
Franco
(that guy looks somewhat familiar...)
This http://www.yart.com.au/pa/page.aspx?ID=131
was shot with a Sanyo 2000HD , however Petras was unaware of the easy way out so spent a lot of time transcoding possibly losing some quality inbetween