Forum Index » GEAR » Buying a tenkara rod, need advice

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Re: Buying a tenkara rod, need advice on 11/22/2009 12:26:43 MST Print View

>>In the good old days, caught a lot of fish with that kind of rig tied to a cane pole about 10' feet long.

>You can do that with a trekking pole.

Not with my Titanium Goat poles! Maybe a Leki.

Wonder what a cane pole weighs?

How about using cane poles for pack stays? :)

Andy Waters
(dirtyhiker) - F

Locale: NC mountains
unfortunately no lifetime guarantee on the Hane on 11/23/2009 05:47:29 MST Print View

just a heads up.. Ryan posted yesterday that there is NO lifetime warranty on these rods due to their limited run..
Not a big deal to some, but to a broke hiker, who can sometimes be just a little to hard on their gear its definitely something to take into account..

#$%! I wanted a hane...

neither me or my gorilla will appreciate an extra 4 inches of rod length or a non reinforced base... Poo!!

Edited by dirtyhiker on 11/23/2009 06:21:37 MST.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Go with the crappie pole! on 11/23/2009 08:52:02 MST Print View

Daniel at Tenkara USA says the breakages he's had on his rods are from misuse - too heavy a tippet, not collapsing the rods straight, or smashing the tip section in a car door!

I've been using these rods for months now, and will not hesitate to get on of these when they become available.

Or you could go with the graphite crappie pole from Cabelas, which breaks really easily, but who cares since it's only $20! (It also has lousy action for flyfishing!)

Lack of a lifetime warranty is not a big deal!

Jeff Patrick
(callmeammo) - F

Locale: Sacramento
no lifetime warranty on 11/23/2009 12:53:09 MST Print View

Where did he post that?

I notice he says there will be extra tips available for breakages. I wonder what they cost.

Melody Nomura
(kmnomura) - F
no experience? on 11/23/2009 13:29:43 MST Print View

Hey, sorry for borrowing your thread but could someone tell me whether or not fly fishing is a good idea for a beginner with absolutely no experience in fishing? thanks =)

Justin Marney
(gotascii) - M

Locale: Shenandoah
Buying a tenkara rod, need advice on 11/24/2009 05:52:27 MST Print View

@melody fwiw, I had no experience fishing and picked up fly fishing last year. Since then I have caught many fish and had a great time combining backpacking with fly fishing. There was a LOT to learn, but I am the kind of person who enjoys that sort of thing. I have been told that learning to fly fish first actually makes it easier because the technique you use to cast a spinning rod is pretty much entirely opposite of the way you cast a fly rod. No bad habits to break :)

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Sold out already? on 11/24/2009 09:38:05 MST Print View

Wow, the Hane sold out fast. I got online this morning to order mine and they were already sold out. I hope they do decide to make another batch.

-Sid

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Re: Sold Out Already! on 11/24/2009 09:42:57 MST Print View

It is amazing and discouraging.

So much for the christmas wish list!

Jack

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: Re: Sold Out Already! on 11/24/2009 10:13:56 MST Print View

yeah the page says they sold out in 20 hours. but it also says if there's a significant stock alert sign up showing demand, there'll be a second run. better pony up for a membership though - members got the early warning and it looks like they snatched up all of them.

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Stock Alerts on 11/24/2009 10:17:00 MST Print View

Why would stock alerts impress need? It hasn't worked in the past - so much so that most don't even sign up for them - so much so that even BPL has noted its futility in past posts or articles.

Jack

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Buying a tenkara rod, need advice on 11/24/2009 11:04:25 MST Print View

Just when I thought I had found my Christmas present.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Stock Alerts and the BPL Store (was: Tenkara Hane) on 11/24/2009 12:28:18 MST Print View

Jack - we're going to make some significant store strategy changes in 2010. Stock alerts are going to be a critical component of that strategy. We actually do pay attention to them, and they are going to be a really important driver of what we elect to stock in 2010. We're going to do a major cleanse of products for which there isn't a demand. My advice: go through now and grab what you want while you can, because I think we're going to start seeing a very different store by years' end...

Edited by ryan on 11/24/2009 12:28:43 MST.

Richard Haaser
(bonasus) - F - M
tip section on 12/25/2009 07:54:34 MST Print View

I received my Hane this am for Christmas. Is there a technique for getting the final section of rod to come out? It all un-telescopes except for that final section for attaching the line and I do not want to force it and break it in the process. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

John Z
(Feather) - MLife
tip section on 12/25/2009 09:16:03 MST Print View

Richard, the Opening Rod section (about 3/4 down the page) at http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php might be helpful.

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Hane on 12/25/2009 11:44:39 MST Print View

So has BPL decided whether or not to do another production run of the Hane for those of us who missed our chance last time?

-Sid

Richard Haaser
(bonasus) - F - M
tenkara on 12/25/2009 19:14:07 MST Print View

Thanks John Z.

Richard Haaser
(bonasus) - F - M
Stuck end-piece on 12/26/2009 07:43:24 MST Print View

Nevermind. Using some gentle tapping followed by very narrow tweezers I was able to grasp the end and wiggle it out.

Dennis Hiorns
(hanson)

Locale: Michigan
Tenkara Questions Unanswered on 12/31/2009 12:10:17 MST Print View

As I read this post, there were two questions that were asked but not answered:

"I notice he says there will be extra tips available for breakages. I wonder what they cost." ...and do we get them through BPL or Tenkara? I'm not confident that I can use this with my kids and not need to replace the tip.

"Does this (reinforced outer tube) mean that the Hane has a stronger outer tube than the other tenkaras? Do you need a rod case to protect the iwana?"