Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Steripen challenger: half the weight and half the price
Display Avatars Sort By:
Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
Steripen challenger: half the weight and half the price on 11/17/2009 06:56:49 MST Print View

I just ran across this UV water sterilizer at Hikelight.commUV water purifier

It charges from AAA, AA, C, D batteries with magnetically connectible leads. It doesn't appear to have the bells and whistles of the Steripen, but at half the price and half the weight, it certainly is intriguing. Anybody had experience with it?

Edited by herman666 on 11/17/2009 06:58:58 MST.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Steripen challenger on 11/17/2009 07:30:31 MST Print View

It looks like the Aquastar MuV to me. They are compact and light, and the re-chargeable feature is nice. I got an early prototype and they were working out some production issues. I did get prompt service and a unit replacement. I used the unit successfully on several trips. I found the magnetic leads to be a little difficult to use and keep attached to the battery when charging. It also has a built in battery mode which is handy as a backup.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Steripen challenger on 11/17/2009 09:14:59 MST Print View

Thanks for the input. Do you still have yours? Or did you get rid of it for some reason?

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: the mUV on 11/17/2009 11:44:38 MST Print View

I tested it for BGT and really liked it, but had three succesive units suffer battery failure (refusal to charge).

The test ended, I was never sent unit #4 so cannot verify that the problem was ever corrected. While it was working I really liked it. As noted, care must be taken to ensure the little magnetic leads stay connected but beyond that it was simple, easy and economical.

Cheers,

Rick

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
the mUV on 11/17/2009 13:29:10 MST Print View

I actually used mine for the first time this past weekend - downsizing from the AquaStar which I love but weighs too much.

It worked really well (I didn't get sick) and the light weight was a nice plus over the full-sized Aquastar. I have to learn the technique of filling 1-liter Platypus bottles though...In the shallow streams and springs I couldn't get my Platypus more than 2/3 full.

You can purchase the mUV directly from Meridian Designs for $49 (get a group of your hiking buddies together and you can save some real $$$ because you can buy 10 of them at only $30 each):

http://www.meridian-design.com/muv.html

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
mUV on 11/17/2009 14:13:39 MST Print View

Campsaver is also selling the mUV so you can get the 20% discount.

I too had the mUV fail, but I was trying to charge with a homemade USB charger so that may have been the cause.

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Locale: Southern California
Steripen Clarification on 11/17/2009 14:46:12 MST Print View

Just to clarify that the Steripen Adventurer only only weighs about 3.6 oz with disposable lithium ion batteries installed. Fresh lithium ions will purify about 50 L of water. The weight of the MuV does not include any external battery which would be required to purify more than 20 L. So actually I don't think there is much of a weight savings with the MuV over the Steripen Adventurer, it's definitely not half the weight, although it is cheaper.