Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » SoCal Backpackers Wanted

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
SoCal Backpackers Wanted on 11/16/2009 17:41:40 MST Print View

Anyone interested in a San Gorgonio one-nighter this weekend (11-21)? I want to try out my cold weather chops. My regulars (if they can be called that) all flaked. Training trek, 10-20 miles round trip, Sat-Sunday, 9-10k feet altitude.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: SoCal Backpackers Wanted on 11/16/2009 21:26:20 MST Print View

If my wife wasn't working Sat. night (thus leaving me with the kids) I'd be on this with you.

Keep posting invitations! (I should do this more...I think we all should.)

I'm in Altadena...we should get some locals to hook up more.

Edited by xnomanx on 11/16/2009 21:30:41 MST.

John Davis
(billybooster) - F

Locale: So Cal
socal on 11/16/2009 22:09:06 MST Print View

might be up for it... have to check out daughters car ride needs! Will elt you know tomorrow... what are the temps expected to be?

albert lopez
(alopez) - M
Socal Backpackers Wanted on 11/17/2009 08:24:23 MST Print View

I've gathered a small group of locals so far, looking for more and hoping to coordinate trips regularly. Please email me if you're interested.

albert lopez
(alopez) - M
Conditions this weekend on 11/17/2009 08:33:11 MST Print View

I heard low 20's in Big Bear last week, so I'm thinking 15-20 degrees for this trip. A decent snow storm would cancel this as i dont have snow gear.

david hensley
(AliasDave) - F
Re: SoCal Backpackers Wanted on 11/18/2009 15:48:47 MST Print View

I was actually going to hike about 60 miles of the PCT along the San Gorgonio Mnts in training for my PCT 2010 thru hike. Which trail do you plan on hiking, Adan?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: SoCal Backpackers Wanted on 11/18/2009 16:18:47 MST Print View

Adan,

Please put me on your list. I didn't see a PM or Email address for you.
Jim's Email

I have trouble breaking free from the kids on weekends but it could happen. I live in Long Beach.

Edited by jimqpublic on 11/18/2009 16:19:48 MST.

david hensley
(AliasDave) - F
RE: on 11/18/2009 21:59:29 MST Print View

Actually, Adan, you can put me on your list as well. DavidRHensley@gmail.com

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Socal Backpackers Wanted on 11/19/2009 22:23:57 MST Print View

Oops. my updates on this thread have not been coming. I think i accidentally setup duplicate accounts. I'm really glad there's interest out there!

Dave, Jim, I will definitely be in touch. I have 3 guys from another forum also planning on meeting up but I think there are many more looking for something like this.

John, I still hope to hear from you about Sat. I'm putting the finishing touches on my gear. If anyone is interested in Sat, let me know.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

San Gorgonio Saturday on 11/19/2009 22:39:47 MST Print View

2 of us so far, tentatively. As soon as I have confirmation, I'll grab a permit. I dont have a bear canister but I hear I can rent one from the visitor center. Has anyone done this before? what time do i have to get it back to them Sunday? Any tips on waterproofing my boots? I've heard Tyvek booties are the trip but it's too late now. I'm thinking plastic bags inside my boots would get hot/sweaty but it would only be necessary if some snow dumped Saturday night.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Pitching a Tent in the Rain on 11/19/2009 22:52:45 MST Print View

One more question, does anyone have much experience pitching a tent in rain? I've done this on a Cottonwood pack a few years ago and it did not go well. Any tips/techniques for keeping the inside dry? I have a two-wall Walrus (old) with mesh upper on the inner tent. oh, and my pm is alopez@hartwellcorp.com, i dont know why it's not showing up. Cell phone is 714)240-4496 in case anyone else gets open last minute.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Pitching a Tent in the Rain on 11/20/2009 02:20:00 MST Print View

> does anyone have much experience pitching a tent in rain?
As far as I can see the Walrus tents look as though they are meant for pitching in fine weather. Any tent which has the poles sleeved into the inner tent and the fly thrown over the top afterwards is going to get wet (or very wet) when you pitch it in the rain.

Cheers

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Tent setup in the rain on 11/20/2009 08:29:02 MST Print View

Tips? Move fast and carry a pack towel.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Hijack-Pitching Walrus mesh-top tent in rain. on 11/20/2009 09:09:36 MST Print View

What Roger said. Very few mainstream US tents seem to be made for pitching in the rain.

If they have continuous pole sleeves you can drape the fly over while pitching. We have a Walrus tent but the pole sleeves break at the apex so you have to thread the poles across. It can be done but you have to crawl under the fly. This has worked fine in light rain with no wind.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Pitching a Tent in the Rain on 11/20/2009 22:14:51 MST Print View

Good info. Next rain I'll go out and give it another shot. I think I will ty staking down the fly and then get under it to try and pitch the tent. long shot but maybe with a little practice.

San Gorgonio is cancelled. Maybe next time I'll come up with a better way to coax more of you out....Did I mention the Hooter girls were thinking about joining me on the next one?

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Locale: Southern California
Just noticed this on 11/24/2009 12:38:08 MST Print View

I just noticed this post, too late for the trip, but I was out in the Dome Land Wilderness anyway, so couldn't have gone on this one. But I am interested in future trips. I'm in the Temecula area. If anyone starts and email list for So. Cal. trips, please include me, hybridowner at gmail dot com. hope the trip went well. Temps on Sat. night in Dome Land at 7000 ft at Manter Meadow were down to about 15 degrees, but up there we could have a nice fire to help take the evening chill off.

Edited by mjkline on 11/24/2009 12:43:31 MST.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Socal Backpackers Wanted on 11/24/2009 12:49:02 MST Print View

Hi Mike. My trip was cancelled on account of nobody could make it. i'm not up to solo trips since i have kids that really prefer I make it back in one piece. I'll add you to my mailing list, i have over a dozen people now that are interested and I really hope we can coordinate real soon. I've been trying to find someone to go to DLW for a while, how was it? was there water along the way? how many days were you there?

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Dome Land Wilderness on 11/24/2009 15:06:14 MST Print View

Adan, sorry to hear your trip got cancelled, but there's always plenty of time for more trips. Thanks for adding me to the list and I'm sure we can coordinate something in the near future.

Dome Land Wilderness was great. We went in from the east off of the Long Valley Road. The trailhead is now up on the Long Valley Rd, the old dirt road is closed down into Rockhouse Basin, so you have to walk down the old dirt road. We dropped down into Rockhouse Basin to the SF of the Kern, then hiked north past the PCT junction to the Dome Land Trail. We camped at the confluence of Trout Creek and the SF Kern. Plenty of water there. Had to ford the Kern using Beaver dams to get across. The days are short and the nights are long (close to 14 hours of darkness) this time of year, so being able to have a campfire at night and in the morning is really nice.

Next day we hiked up the Dome Land Trail to Woodpecker Trail then down to Manter meadow. Be aware, the east/west trails through DLW are more like cross country routes than a lot of cross country routes that I've done. I would guess that there hasn't been any trail maintenance done in many years and that only a handful of people use these trails each year. That's my guess anyway. There was water in much of Tibbets Creek where the trail crossed or was near it. Lots of blow down trees and overgrowth obscures the trail for probably 50% or more of the 7 or so miles. Woodpecker Trail was well used but still a lot of blow downs to go around.

Manter Meadow is huge and lots of water there. We camped at the outlet which is somewhere around 7,000 ft. Several large campsites there with big fire rings. We had a nice fire to help stave off the chilly evening that dropped quickly down to 15 degrees.

The next day we headed out the Manter Trail through little Manter Meadow then up and over into Rockhouse Meadow. Again, a lot of it was more like XC than some of the XC I've done in the Sierra. The dropping down the east side into Rockhouse Meadow was 1400 ft of extremely steep trail. One of the signs said "not recommended for stock" and they weren't kidding. You'd have to be pretty crazy to take a horse up this route. Rockhouse Meadow had lots of water and the SF Kern ford was actually on a 4WD road that lead back to the old 4WD road we hiked in on. The 1200 ft climb on the dirt road back to the car was not fun.

My first time there and it was a pretty cool area. Would like to go back during fishing season (missed it by 5 days) and fly fish the SF Kern. Saw some nice trout in there. Maybe next spring, just have to watch out for all the rattlesnakes in Rockhouse Basin when it's warm. Too cold for any this trip.

Edited by mjkline on 11/24/2009 15:08:47 MST.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Socal Backpackers, Lets Meet Up on 11/29/2009 19:07:22 MST Print View

I'm planning a trip on Dec 4-5 or Dec 11-12 depending on when people are available. We are a group of about 10 people so far that will be receiving invites and trying to meet up for backpacking trips locally and to the other locations in Ca. if you are interested in receiving invites, please send an email to alopez at hartwellcorp dot com.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Socal Backpackers, Lets Meet Up on 11/30/2009 01:29:39 MST Print View

Adan,

You can add me to the list. I have two trips already planned for December. For next year I would be interested in meeting some BPL members, IF the group is small... say 4 or fewer people.