November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
24: November at Sandbeach Lake
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dondo .

Locale: Colorado Rockies
24: November at Sandbeach Lake on 11/14/2009 23:21:24 MST Print View

Check out my new trip report at Dondo Outdoors.

David Lutz

Locale: Bay Area
"24: November at Sandbeach Lake" on 11/14/2009 23:53:46 MST Print View

Excellent trip report. This Kahtoola Microspikes look cool, I have YakTrax I use on my Sorrels for clomping around in the snow, but those look great for winter walks.

Do you know the high and low temps?

Dondo .

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: "24: November at Sandbeach Lake" on 11/15/2009 00:17:20 MST Print View

Hi David,

Yeah, I like the Microspikes a lot. For me, they have the best balance between durability, weight and performance of all the traction devices that I've used.

Good question about the high and low temps. I didn't carry a thermometer, so I don't really know precisely. But I just checked Snotel for the night I was out and their sensor in Wild Basin at 9,560' recorded a low of 25F. I was camped about 700' higher. Normally, I figure the temps drop about 3F for each 1000' of elevation gain, so the low was probably around 23F at Sandbeach Lake. I don't even want to know what the wind chill was. ;-) The Snotel sensor recorded highs of 44F and 46F for the two days I was out.

Edited by Dondo on 11/15/2009 00:20:01 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: 24: November at Sandbeach Lake on 11/24/2009 22:11:41 MST Print View

You take so many great trips. Thanks for sharing.