Forum Index » Chaff » New Meaning to, "I Love this Knife."

Display Avatars Sort By:
Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
New Meaning to, "I Love this Knife." on 11/13/2009 21:01:35 MST Print View

Many of you have probably already seen this but here's a rather disturbing review of the Rat Cutlery Izula knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJqkEKnt50

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: New Meaning to, "I Love this Knife." on 11/13/2009 21:44:09 MST Print View

Larry - I'll never follow you any place again.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
But is it UL? on 11/13/2009 22:31:55 MST Print View

Holy Ned! LMAO, and very disturbed at myself that I did.

Stargazer

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
"I Love this Knife." on 11/13/2009 23:14:45 MST Print View

Now I'm too scared to watch.....

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
I just keep washing and washing my knife... on 11/14/2009 00:00:44 MST Print View

just can't seem to get my knife clean enough...

washing and washing and washing...

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: New Meaning to, "I Love this Knife." on 11/14/2009 02:18:02 MST Print View

Poor banana leaf... amputated in the name of love...

From now on I'm wearing gloves when entering a knife enthusiasts' store...

twig .
(bretthartwig) - MLife

Locale: Australia
New Meaning to, "I Love this Knife" on 11/14/2009 03:09:48 MST Print View

I was with him all the way, until that licking bit.......!
I'm feeling a bit disturbed now.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Hahaha on 11/14/2009 04:11:49 MST Print View

Suckers... at least I'm not alone now.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Hahaha on 11/14/2009 16:15:33 MST Print View

At least he didn't lick the other hole.

:prepares for post deletion:

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Hahaha on 11/15/2009 18:18:53 MST Print View

how can I not take a look now?

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

How about the knife? on 11/15/2009 18:26:21 MST Print View

The question is, is the knife any good. It's hard to turn down such an alluring knife at only 2 oz. :-)

Seriously, is it any good?

Stargazer

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Any good? on 11/15/2009 19:19:13 MST Print View

It's supposed to be. This video was interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrlvqrZQKY

It seems to be loved on bladeforums.com as well as the rest of the Rat Cutlery product line up. There are a couple of users here with them but they may not come through this part of the forums.

Concerning the rest of their products I'd like to know the weight of the little fire steels they sell for a dollar each. They're probably pretty light and the price is definitely right.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: How about the knife? on 11/15/2009 20:00:43 MST Print View

> It's hard to turn down such an alluring knife at only 2 oz.
Not really, when you consider the alternatives.
TwoBlades3
This is a Benchmade 530 compared to a standard SAK. The 530 weighs 1.8 oz (on my scales).

Cheers

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Re: Re: How about the knife? on 11/15/2009 21:24:06 MST Print View

While I normally enjoy your posts Roger I have to disagree with your assessment since it's difficult to say that one knife is better than another based solely off of weight.

Of course if your not wanting to baton wood there's no point in carrying the extra weight of a fixed blade + sheath since even the lightest seem to weigh more than a good folder or are very diminutive. I've never tried to baton with any of my folders so all I'm going on is speculation and what I've read elsewhere about the hinges not holding up. But I have no intention of putting my good folders through the punishment to find out unless I have to for some reason. What kind of punishment can that Benchmade folder take?

For a good fixed blade that can function as a bushcraft knife in a pinch the Izula seems hard to beat. It's going on my Christmas list this year. The only question now is what color? Thanks to Youtube pink is out....

Edited by veriest1 on 11/15/2009 21:34:32 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: How about the knife? on 11/16/2009 02:37:40 MST Print View

Hi Larry

> it's difficult to say that one knife is better than another based solely off of weight.
Obviously! Match the knife to the task.

But since I always use a canister stove and don't need to split firewood, I don't need a big knife. Here in Oz it is risky even lighting a wood fire outside winter. And if I did want to light a fire here, I would not bother trying to split the local hardwood anyhow. No-one ever does.

But such a folder has many other uses for the lightweight walker:
7148Brekki.jpg
Breakfast, below Augstbordpass, Switzerland

Cheers

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: How about the knife? on 11/16/2009 03:16:07 MST Print View

Yes, let's match the knife to the task (I like how concise that is).

Here in Texas we tend to have a fire ban about once a year in the summer. And it's to hot for a fire around these parts during those months anyway.

In the winter here a fire is a very nice thing for comfort if nothing else and while I generally only light my alcohol stove on winter nights a fire sure is nice and generally very safe. Of course anyone using a Bushbuddy type of stove may want the option to baton wood as well.

Another reason, at least for me to carry a fixed blade, is I tend to spend a lot of my time in the woods off trail. Which has more of a potential to turn into a survival situation than staying on trails where one is likely to be found in the event of an emergency.

Here's why I intend to replace my Benchmade Nimravus with an Izula.
1) Rat Cutlery has an amazing warranty if I do manage to break it.
2) It's very thick for its size (see reason number 1)
3) Made of carbon steel rather than stainless steel. Thus it can be used on natural flints to create sparks and remember two of the keys to going light safely is knowledge, which is weightless, and multi-use gear. Flint is abundant around here too.
4) The Izula is lighter than the Nimravus it will be replacing.

In conclusion, while a folder may be perfect for most camp chores there comes a point where a fix blade is the only real solution. In that regard I believe the comparison between the two styles is really apples and oranges as they serve two very different needs; and in the class of fixed blades the Izulas specs really stand out. Therefore, for me, it's very difficult to pass up the allure of this little 2 oz. knife when it's weighed against the strengths and weaknesses of the other knives competing to be on my hip.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Such a study in contrasts! on 11/16/2009 04:50:38 MST Print View

>Another reason, at least for me to carry a fixed blade, is I tend to spend a lot of my time in the woods off trail. Which has more of a potential to turn into a survival situation than staying on trails where one is likely to be found in the event of an emergency.

Really, there is a difference in needs here, and I'm still torn. The Izula looks good for emergency situations. The folding knife for slicing bread (great image, as always Roger!) and other camp duties. I can't imagine myself carrying a loaf of bread on the trail. The weight would be greater than my shelter! Beside slicing open a Mountain House package. I can't think of any other camp duties.

In an emergency situation, I want my knife to be tough as nails, "Stronger than dirt" as the old advert goes). More than once, I've needed to dig a hole in the hard, hard Ohio dirt, and the old p@@p (the board censored p@@p!) trowel didn't do the job. Perhaps the Izula is the one, but I'd be carrying around 2 oz. JIC, a very rare perhaps even non-existent, JIC. Perhaps if I discarded the p@@p trowel and used the Izula as a dual-purpose device, I could justify the weight cost.

Another nice feature is the lanyard aspect (easy access without removing the whole lanyard/ knife from around your neck).

Stargazer

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F
knives, knives, knives... on 11/16/2009 08:26:39 MST Print View

I don't know that I'd want to use my (sharp) knife to go digging in the dirt...

Anyway, two thoughts:

1. The folder that I carry is the A.G. Russell Featherlite. the locking mechanism seems unique and sturdy. I have used it to baton smaller kindling with. I wouldn't want to split logs with it though. But the Izula won't be splitting logs for you either. Link to the Featherlite:

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=K-93B&bhcd2=1258384314

2. If you like the Izula, you might want to check out Scott Gossman's PSK Jr. Get it in 01 with a paracord wrapped handle and kydex sheath and you'll be set. Same sort of knife as the Izula, but much nicer in my opinion. My experiences with RAT stuff has not been good.

Luke McFadden
(luke@enterlife.net) - F
Knives! on 11/16/2009 11:18:30 MST Print View

I was a bladeforums member before a BPL member, so becoming ultralight in the knives department is tough for me!

I did however recently pickup an Izula, and it has been great so far! My pack has some small pockets on the belt, that the belt passes through. I've put the knife in this spot between the belt and the pocket. I attached the sheath with a small piece of rope, so I have quick access to the knife. This might be hard to visualize, but the knife just becomes part of my pack.

I'll second the Gossman PSK as well. Great knife with good reviews. He mostly does convex grinds, and I prefer a flat grind. I also like the coating on the Izula as it's always wet here, I'm frequently by water. RAT is a great company that stands behind their products.

There are SEVERAL other knives in this category that people on bladeforums make. However, I've yet to find something that I like better than the Izula. With it being skeletonized, you get a bigger knife than some others. It is also very comfortable in hand. I have big hands, and think that some of the smaller knives would be hard to manage.

If you are looking for a knife, and have some specific thoughts of what you would like to see, head over to bladeforums and look around. There a lot of makers in the Wilderness and Survival forum who design knives to fit into small tins for "survival kits".

The Becker Necker, now made by Kabar, is another similar knife, though it's a little heavier.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Re: knives, knives, knives... on 11/16/2009 11:37:22 MST Print View

Dave, what has been your issue with RAT? They seem to get rave reviews most everywhere I've looked so far. They seem to be a fine trade off between cost and weight in the reviews I've read and seen.

I'll take a look at the knives you mentioned before I make a decision on what to get.