Forum Index » GEAR » New Golite Peak

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
New Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 12:01:41 MST Print View

I was in Seattle this week and saw the new Golite Peak at REI. I wasnt impressed. Has anyone used this pack yet? Ali
1lb 11oz
2600CI

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: New Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 12:14:22 MST Print View

Why were you not impressed?

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
peak... on 11/13/2009 15:04:34 MST Print View

Mine is showing up today. I can see how some might not be impressed by its weight... but the Peak may have potential... I'll post my initial thoughts and maybe some pics after it shows up... then I'll share further thoughts and findings after I take it out this weekend on an overnighter. Lets give Peak a chance... ;)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
New Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 15:06:14 MST Print View

"lb 11oz
2600CI"

Any other features? Once again - weight gain doesn't happen in a vaccuum.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: New Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 16:03:25 MST Print View

The issue is the weight. Golite had such a great opportunity to simply make a lightweight backpack in between an Ion and an older style Jam2. You can see many fine examples of how people have modified the ion to be such a pack. If the Peak were simply an ion with a slight size increase, roll top, and mesh pockets you would have a great pack that would weigh under a pound. Instead golite decides to somehow double the needed weight. That is a crazy amount of weight to add to an item in my world for what benefit I ponder. Me thinks the benefit is mass market appeal, not ultra-light backpacking.

Golite items I own or have owned: Jam2, Ion Pack, Virga Jacket, Reed Pants, Wisp Windshirt, Ponchotarp, and Ultra 20 Quilt. One by one Golite is killing each of these excellent pieces of ultralight gear. I predict the Reed pants are the next to go.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 11/13/2009 16:03:57 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 16:09:10 MST Print View

Isn't the Peak an 'Active' daypack to be used for things other than backpacking - i.e. moderate climbing, scrambling, etc.

The ION's waistbelt is useless and the Peak allows you to remove the belt entirely so that will drop some weight.

More importantly, at least in my opinion, the Peak is made with recycled content. Great for the environment. The SUL packs are the domain of the cottage makers now. I suspect Golite has accepted that and is moving on.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

peak pics on 11/13/2009 16:15:02 MST Print View

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

peak pics on 11/13/2009 16:22:07 MST Print View

I dig the pack. I think there is a lot to wack out of there if one were feeling creative, and up to it. The back mesh panel piece is THICK... seems like a lot of weight is in this piece alone. One could simply cut out the mesh, WITHOUT removing or touching the gray fabric... and maybe get your GG 3/4 TorsoLight/or similar in there (don't know for sure yet, as it is not in front of me to check for fit). The inner foam pad pocket would protect the pack contents from exposure. Anyhow, I like it...

Edited by goldenmeanie on 11/13/2009 16:24:52 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: peak pics on 11/13/2009 16:40:20 MST Print View

It looks like a pretty decent day pack to me. Certainly a lot better than the VO 24.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 16:42:20 MST Print View

It's an interesting design and it has a lot of potential. I think we should be careful to criticize Golite until we know how the weight breaks down.

Here is my guess:

Removable Backpad: 1oz (based on how much my 2009 Jam pad weighs)
Hydration Bladder: 1oz (easy to cut the stitches and remove)
Backpad Sleeve: 1oz (kinda permanent, but easy to cut out)
Hipbelt Pockets & Padded Wings: 3oz per side
Actual waistbelt strap: 2oz

Based on these rough guesses, you could probably reduce this 31oz pack down to 20oz by removing this stuff, and probably another ounce lower by trimming the straps.

Class leading packs are roughly 3-6 oz lighter than this. I think most of this additional weight is due to the thick 3D mesh padding that Golite is using in the backpanel and perhaps due to the new recycled fabrics. This 3D mesh is nice though, so the value of this depends on the wearer. People who get really sweaty backs may prefer this.

Edited by dandydan on 11/13/2009 16:44:26 MST.

Jack G
(NomadJack) - F

Locale: Midwest
Peak on 11/13/2009 17:02:01 MST Print View

Two side compression straps just like the Jam. It was overkill on the Jam and even more so on the Peak. Not to mention the bottom one interferes when trying to get water bottles in and out.

It's an ounce heavier than the '09 Jam so really what is the point. I realize the '10 Jam will be 2 pounds or more but why would someone who has an '09 Jam buy it.

Alan, the boat is looking great. Congrats on launching. Is that a Dahon Mμ Uno?

Edited by NomadJack on 11/13/2009 17:15:16 MST.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
New Peak on 11/13/2009 17:28:27 MST Print View

I defended the 2009 Jam when most people around here dumped on it. I think it's a major improvement, and the weight is justified.

Not so sure about the peak. Seems to me you'd be better off with the Jam, with its increased volume, if you're going to be carrying a 2-lb pack. (This looks just like the Jam anyway.)

Don't really see the market for this one. I would have preferred a beefier Ion, something for UL overnighters, but with side pockets for water bladders. Something that weighs 12 oz or less.....Not sure Golite is going there though. And not sure why not.

Edited by Rezniem on 11/13/2009 17:29:25 MST.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: New Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 17:48:17 MST Print View

"I would have preferred a beefier Ion, something for UL overnighters, but with side pockets for water bladders."

I agree 100%. This would have been a great addition to ultra lightbackpacking.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 18:26:12 MST Print View

There are many UL 40L packs available - why do we need another? In fact, I would argue that if Golilte made this type of pack it would take away from the cottage producers' sales, which none of us want. I think this will be a great daypack. With a daypack, I could care less about a few ounces.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Golite Peak on 11/13/2009 18:47:15 MST Print View

Nice pack, they definitely needed to improve their sternum straps, being the Jam2 sternum strap will pop-off. I put a Gossamer Gear Sternum strap on my Jam2, which will not come loose now. I'd had a heck of a time just getting it attached.
Not sure I like how the hip-belt attaches on the Peak though? I still like how Gossamer Gear's hip-belts attach the best. I'd like to see other packs made in the same manner, as it would be easier to swap out belts and give you some added adjustment in the torso. You also get a full wrap around the hips too which aids in comfort and carry as well. If I could only sew!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Weight on 11/14/2009 03:09:11 MST Print View

"Once again - weight gain doesn't happen in a vaccuum."

I bet some diet company can word smith the above into an awesome ad slogan...

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"New Golite Peak" on 11/14/2009 11:14:43 MST Print View

Slight hijack, Jack hi, it is a Dahon Mu P8. In my ongoing effort to lesson my footprint I have sold my last car and the Dahon in my new transportation. Its been getting down to freezing around here and I,m on about day 180 with my LaFuma 30 degree bag " 99 Bucks" and still happy with it. I'm planning a winter expedition, Dahon to trail head fold it hide it and set off to do more testing with my La Fuma if only I could find a great small pack.
I have been so excited for a new pack from go-lite something Like a super Ion. I wore the peak loaded with 20lbs around the store for about an hour. The hip belt is useless and I dont like the foam in the backpannel. Price wise you can buy a much better carying pack for the money and weight. For me its a useless addition to their line up. I just dont see any difference from the peak to the jam2. Just my 2 centsDahon

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Golite Peak on 11/14/2009 13:07:00 MST Print View

If you want a Super Ion, buy the MLD Prophet. Regular or Super.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

in use... on 11/15/2009 17:14:51 MST Print View

Just returned from an overnighter with the pack. Yes, the hip belt is useless for anything other than stuffing its pockets. I believe that most who will be looking into this pack will likely be leaving the hip belt behind. The mesh back panel is super thick. It did a great job of collecting dirt/pebbles and any other brush/matter it came into contact with. Reminded me of an air conditioning/heating filtration pad ... and it also reminded me that I needed to change those filter pads before I start using the heater this winter ;) Sweating wasn't a major problem, as it was chilly out... but I can see this panel holding a fair amount of sweat, and maybe sogging out... the back of my 150 weight merino tee was pretty damp. This mesh just seems unnecessarily thick and likely contributes to the packs porkiness. I would have just cut it out. I found myself wishing that the front pocket had been made of mesh as I dug to find what I was looking for... and yes, the lower side straps made using the pack's side pockets a lil' bit of a chore.
Anywho, this one is going back, and I have placed an order for MLD's Prophet... If I were to wack this Peak up to shave ounces and tailer it to better suit my needs... then I still wouldn't have anything near as light, nor as simple, or even as nice as MLD's Prophet.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Weight on 11/15/2009 20:27:20 MST Print View

Did you happen to see how much weight you save by leaving the belt and hip pockets at home?