Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 06:37:40 MST Print View

I just came across this on Skurka's website and thought I'd share:

Great Alaskan-Yukon Loop

Simply amazing. I particularly like the brain trust he's gathered to advise him and the fact that the Iditarod Trail is just one section of the massive trip.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Yop on 11/10/2009 07:09:35 MST Print View

Actually I just read that a few days ago. The countryside up there is amazing.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 08:11:33 MST Print View

If I was attempting that, I think I would have to carry a PLB, despite my dislike of them. And something for bears. He should have a naming contest. I just hope it doesn't end up being the "Skurka's Folly" loop.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
big ups on 11/10/2009 08:55:22 MST Print View

If anyone is qualified, it's Andy. He certainly has a gold minted brain trust. I hope the sponsorship falls into place.

More than anything, I'm in awe of his ability to be out, waaay out, for weeks alone and apparently just keep digging it. I like being alone in the woods, occasionally, but I'm not anywhere near a strong enough person to be out for 7 months.

Gerald Klamer
(wanderfalke) - F
Andrew Skurkas new expedition plan on 11/10/2009 10:31:40 MST Print View

I was all the time very much interested what will be Andrew Skurkaas next "big" expedition after his Great Western Loop. And now he comes out with this absolutely amazing plan!

I would be much interested in his gear choices for this long off trail adventure, and how he will deal with the food problem. It is hard to imagine that he won't need a good number of airdrops...

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Andy on 11/10/2009 10:37:34 MST Print View

Andy rocks.....I'm looking forward to following this one.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 10:39:28 MST Print View

"No, I do not consider either the 800-mile Four Range trip or the 180-mile AK Mountain Wilderness Classic race "big.""

Quotes like this make me jealous, but at the same time make me question his sanity :)

Simply amazing, indeed. Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'll stick with "easy" trails. haha.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 10:41:44 MST Print View

Good stuff.

But Andy, The Yukon is a Canadian Territory and not a Canadian Province.

;)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 12:50:00 MST Print View

Sounds like the perfect sponsorship opportunity for SPOT Messenger. And Smith & Wesson.

You know, I can't even imagine thinking something like this up, let alone thinking I could do it.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
"Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek" on 11/10/2009 17:53:12 MST Print View

I'm sure that the mosquitoes have already bookmarked his route plan...

Edited by NightMarcher on 11/10/2009 18:00:41 MST.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Glad you like... on 11/10/2009 18:10:06 MST Print View

I don't do this stuff for you guys but it's nice to read that you all seem impressed and are looking forward to following along.

Ryan Linn - I'm sane, really, trust me.

David Ure - Thanks for pointing that out -- it reminded me to make that edit. I put most of that text together a few weeks ago before I understood there was a difference between a territory and a province. I still don't know the technical difference (I'm sure I'll learn that at some point) but I do understand that they are two different things.

Joe Clement - You point about the imagination factor is very valid. Before I went up there this summer I never would have identified this route. But after spending some time up there and understanding the land, the route came together pretty easily. In fact, it has taken me substantially less time, mile for mile, to put this route together than my Four-Range route.

An update on the naming contest...There have been some real smart @sses suggesting names, though thankfully they are just about all better than the GAY Loop. Most clever thus far include "The Great Antisocial Death Wish of 2010!" and "When Hell Freezes Over."

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
"Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek" on 11/10/2009 18:37:10 MST Print View

Good luck Andy.

Thats one crazy loop.

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Southeast on 11/10/2009 18:45:38 MST Print View

Sorry you won't be stopping in Juneau for a resupply, however, if you need something let us know and we can arrange a kayak rendezvous along Lynn Canal, or if you are interested the loan of a kayak for that part of the trip.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Glad you like... on 11/10/2009 19:12:24 MST Print View

"I've discovered that it's somewhat liberating to say that I'm doing this expedition because, in essence, I can and want to."

Well said, young man!!

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek on 11/10/2009 19:25:51 MST Print View

Andy, I read your post before I read your website. I must say that it was impossible to read "GAYL" in any way other than the "Gay Loop". That name will probably be stuck in my mind as I follow your trip. It looks fantastic. Have fun with the Gay Loop.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Can I come? on 11/10/2009 21:05:50 MST Print View

Um, can I go? I'll carry your pack! I promise I won't snore!

G Foster McLachlan
(hunter13) - F

Locale: NYS
Re: big ups on 11/13/2009 16:53:34 MST Print View

-More than anything, I'm in awe of his ability to be out, waaay out, for weeks alone and apparently just keep digging it. I like being alone in the woods, occasionally, but I'm not anywhere near a strong enough person to be out for 7 months.

Yeah, impressive all right and that's whats got me wondering...I'm lone wolf myself, but that's on a whole other level. You can gain the skills and all for expeds but going solo & training your mind to maintain sanity is tough. Thats the only thing that I question on stuff like this.

I am sure people ask him about that all the time. I never read any comments...I guess what can you really say, right. Just deal with it.hah

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Re: big ups on 11/13/2009 19:52:12 MST Print View

>>>More than anything, I'm in awe of his ability to be out, waaay out, for weeks alone and apparently just keep digging it.<<<

I agree with this.

But I'm also impressed by his ability to handle the pressure that must build from the expectations he has to set to even get a chance to pull this off.

That's one tough dude imo.

Edited by JohnnyBgood4 on 11/13/2009 22:48:55 MST.

Michael Baker
(mcpacker)

Locale: Minnesota
Andrew Skurka on 11/14/2009 19:09:37 MST Print View

I have to say you are the man. Successfully completing so many big(my definition of big) has got to instill great wisdom. Nature is the best teacher. What you learn in the wild you cannot learn anywhere else.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Andrew Skurka on 11/15/2009 01:35:05 MST Print View

The talk here is interesting. Sure, Andrew Skurka deserves commendation for his past achievements. Here we are talking about a future trip. Perhaps it's not the contexts for congratulation, but well wishes. Good luck Andrew, you'll need it.

Edited by Found on 11/15/2009 01:35:36 MST.