Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
windscreen for esbit stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
windscreen for esbit stove on 11/07/2009 08:25:52 MST Print View

I recently started using the foldable esbit stove instead of my canister stove to cut down on weight. Only problem is, esbit performs terribly in any kind of light breeze. Has anyone come up with a good windscreen design to suit the esbit stove? The problem I'm running in to is the windscreens I make are too tall to accomodate my snowpeak 900 pot, but if I make the windscreen shorter, it doesn't protect the esbit tab from the breeze very well. Maybe this is just the trade off with using esbit?

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

esbit vs. wetfire on 11/07/2009 10:51:39 MST Print View

Anyone have any experience with Wetfire? They claim it is weatherproof and will still burn strong in wind or rain. Any validity to this? If this is true, I'll just start using the Wetfire product instead of esbit.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
windscreen on 11/07/2009 11:08:48 MST Print View

if you search for Esbit in the G Spot forum I did a comparo between esbit and wetfire- no comparison in the end- the wetire makes a great emergency tinder (even if things are soaking wet), but it does not perform as a stove fuel

I also have a couple of the pics of the windscreen (Ti) that I came up w/- pretty excited about it as I got good performance out of the Esbit and I have it configured to burn wood as well (that performed very well too) :)

Mike

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: windscreen on 11/07/2009 11:10:49 MST Print View

Thanks mike! I will do a search for your post and check it out.

chad moll
(napcop) - F
esbit windscreen on 11/29/2009 20:07:17 MST Print View

cut aluminum flashing (trapezoid) to fit between the support ends. It is light and fits inside the stove when packed. Just make sure to sand the protective (plastic) coating off the flashing. And don't breath the alum fumes.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: windscreen for esbit stove on 12/03/2009 16:33:11 MST Print View

I folded some aluminum foil , four layers thick, wide enough so that it comes most of the way up the side of my pot. Then I rolled it into a cylinder a little larger than the outside of the pot, so that I have about a 1/2" gap between windscreen and pot. I stapled the ends together. Works great.