Best Undies?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Best Undies? on 06/22/2012 18:06:29 MDT Print View

I am a big REI fan(MTS)wearing them as I type this. They also make great swim shorts.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Best Undies? on 06/22/2012 18:32:24 MDT Print View

For those with boxer brief issues (seems the ex oficio which I love so dearly) it's probably just a sizing issue. Especially with thigh size. I've never once had a pair ride up on me regardless of activity, but the thighs are just barely stretched on mine (so not that tight, but not loose either, sort of a Goldilocks syndrome). I'm not sure if having bigger or smaller thighs would cause them to ride up more or less though.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Best Undies? on 06/22/2012 18:45:34 MDT Print View

The issue of boxers or briefs was recently settled. Three days ago I was camped at Hamilton Lakes in Sequoia National Park. The local deer had found some boxers, and it was chewing them for the salt. It knew that they were not to eat, but it just wanted the salt.

deer chewing boxers to get salt

--B.G.--

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Undies smundies on 06/22/2012 20:34:40 MDT Print View

I've used REI brand in two different sizes but they ride up and I get a rash. I do have rather big thighs for my 150 lb. body, but the REI product is just not cut for a performance fit. I then tried Everlast compression undies with 6" inseam. They do not ride up and solved the irritation. They are $9.99 on Sale at Big 5. I really like them allot. Also recently bought some Calvin Klein microfiber undies but I haven't had the chance to use them on the trail. They may not be long enough. We'll see. But they definitely are better than cotton and they are great for the work week.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Best Undies? on 06/23/2012 10:50:51 MDT Print View

I think underwear comfort is different to every user . I have had the EXoffico boxer briefs and I really don't like the waist band is just one big piece of elastic and cut off the circulation.

The most comfortable pair of boxer briefs I have found that don't feel like your wearing anything and wick away moisture are the REi boxer briefs.
Terry

Don Abernathey
(OldGuysRule) - F

Locale: PNW
Champion C9, poly & spandex long brief is the best buy - sold at Target on 06/23/2012 15:55:37 MDT Print View

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-1pk-performance-long-boxer-brief-black/-/A-13442912

These are the best I've found for the money.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Champion C9, poly & spandex long brief is the best buy - sold at Target on 06/23/2012 19:47:17 MDT Print View

RE: Target briefs: Remarkable how comfortable they are. I prefer the short version.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Target on 06/23/2012 20:07:44 MDT Print View

Looks good. I think that the length just really depends on if your inner thighs rub or not. Mine do so the longer ones completely stop the chaffing. Thanks for sharing the Target offering.

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
Undies on 06/23/2012 22:29:47 MDT Print View

I've tried everything out there and LOVE the Walmart Starter brand that says antichaffing on the package. Great underwear.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Undies on 06/23/2012 23:45:31 MDT Print View

Ryan, which package are you talking about?

--B.G.--

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Undies on 06/24/2012 00:56:31 MDT Print View

I like the Ex-Oficio sufficiently to import them to the UK; although trips to the US find I have a large stock now.

Recently been using Rohan Ultra trunks too - light at 38g a pair and treated with polygiene; they work really well.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Ex Officio briefs on 06/24/2012 09:01:55 MDT Print View

> I'm becoming far too aware of the fact they ride up

Most likely this is a sizing issue. I found that going 1-2 sizes smaller than what the packaging suggests works best for me.

--Mark

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
yep on 06/24/2012 16:39:02 MDT Print View

Ex Officios that work as boxers or shorts. Or nothing.

Karl Myers
(kmyers1234) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Wally World on 06/24/2012 18:03:01 MDT Print View

Walmart sells compression shorts that are as comfortable as the bigger brands (nike, UA, etc) but they retail for $7

Obviously they are less durable and lower quality but cant beat the price!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Less $$ on 06/24/2012 19:10:52 MDT Print View

Try Campmnor and Cabela's. They both sell quick drying synthetic briefs and Cabela's has synthetic knit boxer shorts. Both are very reasonable, better prices than Ex-Officio unless you can find Ex O. at a discount store like Stein Mart.

Edited by Danepacker on 06/24/2012 19:11:28 MDT.

Chris Scala
(Scalawag) - F
Compression Shorts on 06/24/2012 19:23:50 MDT Print View

After wearing the compression shorts for literally only a day, I determined they weren't for me either. The waist band was easily the itchiest thing I've worn in years, and their tightness ended up defeating its purpose, because once they started clumping together, they felt even more unrelenting than the Officio's.

I think I'm going to try a different size in Ex Officio's, or just suck it up. I've had no chaffing with them so I guess I really can't complain.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Sorry, double post on 06/24/2012 20:25:19 MDT Print View

Edited by Dondo on 06/24/2012 20:33:26 MDT.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Polarmax Transdry Boxer Briefs on 06/24/2012 20:31:25 MDT Print View

My new personal favorite. It wicks, dries quickly, and doesn't smell. Not bad for cotton.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
I'll second the C9 boxer briefs from Target on 06/25/2012 12:11:54 MDT Print View

I've experimented with a lot of performance underwear - Jockey Go Mesh briefs have the best fit but don't wick as well. The C9 performance boxer briefs work the best for me and I wear them at the gym and when hiking. In the gym I actually like the regular length but the 9" for hiking as they prevent chafing better. The fit is solid, the material wicks very well and do not get funky, the seams are comfortable, etc... Never had them ride up.

There are as someone mentioned two versions - one is 100% synthetic, the other has some cotton mixed in (roughly 50/50). I've tried both and the synthetic is lighter and overall more comfortable if you are really working out hard or sweating a lot. The blended ones are OK for everyday underwear but not my favorite for performance.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: Champion C9, poly & spandex long brief is the best buy - sold at Target on 06/26/2012 10:50:14 MDT Print View

"http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-1pk-performance-long-boxer-brief-black/-/A-13442912

These are the best I've found for the money."

I like them so much I've replaced all my boxer briefs with them for everyday wear. Now, I have purchased enough of them to see that there are some manufacturing defects. Some of the seams were sewn poorly- like the stitching didn't exactly follow the edge of the fabric and some gaps showed up, and some stitching popped, but Target was real good about exchanging them even without a receipt.

BM