Forum Index » GEAR » Best Undies?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Best Undies ? on 11/06/2009 18:56:27 MST Print View

+N on the Ex-Officio Briefs. 2 months in Switzerland last trip. No real signs of wear and the elastic waist is still excellent.

Cheers

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
best undies on 11/09/2009 02:43:18 MST Print View

im from NZ, so maybe im a bit one-sided, but go the Icebreaker. ive got quite a bit of their stuff, undies, 3/4 leggings, 150,200 & 260 weight tops, hat & socks, its all good. the merino doesnt hold much odour either, so you should get about 40 weeks wear before a wash, ;-) jokes

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
Check out EMS TechWick Boxer-Briefs on 11/09/2009 06:28:51 MST Print View

These work nice for me, pretty durable, good elasticity and rock solid moisture control, in my experience. Not too expensive either, compared to some of the big hiking brands.

Gregg Martell
(gmartell) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Best Undies: C-9 at Target on 11/09/2009 10:52:11 MST Print View

+1 Champion C9

You can't beat the price vs function. I also own REI and EMS Techwick. I think these work better for a 1/3 the price.

Edited by gmartell on 11/09/2009 10:55:58 MST.

Zachary Crane
(zcrane) - F

Locale: Midwest, USA
Under Armour BoxerJock on 11/09/2009 11:04:54 MST Print View

Count me in as a fan for the Under Armour BoxerJock. I get the 'long' version which has a 9-inch inseam - never had a chaffing problem and they keep you really cool.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Subjective... on 11/09/2009 23:00:44 MST Print View

I asked the same question about a year ago and based on readers' recommendations, I tried on:

1. Patagonia
2. REI
3. Ex Officio

To me (and here's the subjective part) -- Ex Officio fits the best -- by far -- followed by REI and then Patagonia.

Fit aside, I can attest to the astonishing longevity of Ex Officio underwear: I've been washing/wearing the same 2 pairs for almost 7 months now -- and they're still good!!!

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Under Armour BoxerJock on 11/09/2009 23:27:51 MST Print View

I've used these every hike this year and really like the way they wick. They do work and no chaffing, just don't wear them to bed, even clean dry ones. I change into clean undies every night before bed. The problem I found with these are, that when you wear them to bed in your sleeping bag they still do there job of wicking moisture, there in lies the problem. It turnes your sleeping bag into the rain forest, at least for me. All that wicking causes your body to fill clamy and sticky, now I take a pair of cotton undies to change into before bed and I haven't had any more problems. Great for hiking just not for sleeping

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Decision Made on 11/10/2009 05:24:46 MST Print View

I went with Icebreakers from STP. It was either those, or Wickers wool ones. Ex-O was in third, but I didn't give them too much thought.

I'll let you know the outcome.

devin riker
(fveten03) - F

Locale: New York
merinos with a built in ball-pouch on 09/18/2011 17:54:12 MDT Print View

Deleted as commercial.
If you want to offer a discount to BPL readers, feel free to use the Gear Deals channel.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 09/18/2011 19:46:51 MDT.

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re : "Best Undies?" on 09/19/2011 09:34:07 MDT Print View

a fan of being comfy down there I also say -- ExOfficio
Send that 25% over my way when it does happen. I figured once a month to buy a single pair to replace all my boxers within a year.

Eli .
(Feileung) - F
Under Armor Heatware on 09/19/2011 10:18:29 MDT Print View

My Under Armor Heatware have been great. Long enough to avoid all chaffing; they don't move/ride at all; not too hot; not too cool.

My regimen is like Franco's. Wear them all day; wash at the end; dry overnight. Two pairs per trip is perfect.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: merinos with a built in ball-pouch on 09/19/2011 10:53:49 MDT Print View

Roger is back from his winter vacation

Did you do anything iunteresting?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: merinos with a built in ball-pouch on 09/19/2011 11:13:01 MDT Print View

Merino Codpiece.

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Best Undies? on 09/19/2011 14:50:39 MDT Print View

Merino works wonders for me. I have Icebreaker boxers but hate the labels-cut them off. I find Minus33 has labels that don't bother me and they are cheaper.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Undies? Go Ex Officio and get over the funk... :-) on 09/19/2011 22:47:44 MDT Print View

+n+1 on Ex Officio briefs. Stephen and I used them on our recent cycle tour. Two pairs each, one wear, one wash. 16,661km of high cadence cycling revolutions through deserts, tropical and alpine areas, plus town use on days off, about 240days. I'm still using them, can't tell any wear whatsoever...thats incredible, especially as they usually went more than a week between washings! Stephen's jocks are in the same excellent condition. They are going to keep on lasting for ages. No way a pair of wool jocks would ever last that long (we used Icebreaker socks on this trip, we wore through heaps of them, never buying them again...though they were really really comfy).

Yeah, they funk, but then we were always filthy anyway. When my shirt and pants are covered in caked on dirt and salt-stains I don't really notice or care that my jocks are funky.

Maybe I'd wear more holes in them if they had more to support? Haha...

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
how can you +++++ ex officio? on 09/19/2011 23:06:14 MDT Print View

here's my 2 cents from a boxer jock only type...

here are ones that are good for me:
under armour heatgear - long inseam.
jockey boxer jock - longest length they make

however neither of those do a GREAT job at holding my junk up from between my legs. i've resorted to the ball banadana.

here are ones that i've tried that SUCK (for me). they simply roll right up my thigh and become tighty whities after about 5 minutes of walking- if i wanted straight underwear and not boxer briefs i would have just bought them that way. i have tried these pairs numerous times with no avail. i don't understand how people are giving them a +

icebreaker boxer briefs. 150 wt
ex officio give and go boxer brief
champion c9 boxer brief

Chris Scala
(Scalawag) - F
Ex Officio on 06/22/2012 16:45:20 MDT Print View

I've been wearing 2 pairs of Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs for a couple months now, on and off trail... However, now that it's hot, I'm becoming far too aware of the fact they ride up, and then I can feel a big tangled mess of fabric between my legs. Granted they are still pretty comfy, but combined with heat and humidity it is starting to drive me nuts. (No pun intended!)

I just got a pair of Under Armor Compression Shorts to try out. Not crazy about the tightness factor, but I'd rather them stay put than move around. I don't like built in short liners because having a removable pair is more versatile for swimming and general changing and what not.

Does anyone else experience this with the Ex-Officio's? I'm 5'7" / 150 lbs. I have cyclist thighs but they are not olympian-big, I generally wear a Medium. I found it weird I seemed to be the only one with these riding up on me.

Maybe the briefs would work better?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Ex Officio on 06/22/2012 17:12:22 MDT Print View

Ex Officio is what I usually wear, if I use any. They are extra weight you know.

Yesterday on the radio I heard Larry the Cable Guy, exhorting the merits of edible undies, but I don't think he does any backpacking.

Joel Hulett
(jhalan) - F

Locale: Midwest
starter boxer briefs on 06/22/2012 17:15:47 MDT Print View

I really like the starter performance boxer briefs at wallyworld. I have really stocky legs so I get the 9" length, they also come in six inch as well. They are mesh type stuff in the bit area and very stretchy. Not sure how long they last I've only had them for a few weeks, but so far they are the best undies I"ve tried and only ten bucks a pair.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: starter boxer briefs on 06/22/2012 17:26:30 MDT Print View

I like the Starters too, but one pair that I have definitely absorbs the stank quite quickly. But, at $9.50, it's a risk worth taking. I've found them to be quite comfortable, and no chaffing since I switched to them!