Forum Index » GEAR » Best Undies?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 13:49:05 MST Print View

I'm looking for a new pair of performance underwear. (Sorry Commandos, I still choose to be restricted).

I previously had some polyester ones from Kohls, but they leave me wanting more. I have recently discovered the comfort and benefits of merino as well.

Icebreaker boxer briefs caught my eye. Any other suggestions?

I don't want to spend $50 on undies, unless they're made of gold.

Thanks.

Hal Potts
(halpotts) - F

Locale: Middle Tennessee
Best Undies on 11/06/2009 13:53:54 MST Print View

I too am always in search of the perfect undies. I recently bought a pair of ExOfficio Boxer/Briefs and have worn them only once but I was very pleased. No chafing or binding, lightweight and just the right amount of slippery texture.

david richardson
(drichi) - M

Locale: midwest
undies on 11/06/2009 13:54:24 MST Print View

take a look at ExOfficio brand underwear. dave

Brian Markey
(bmlaw) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Re: Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 14:30:57 MST Print View

Wickers: http://underwear.wickers.com/mans-thermal-underwear-ZXcZX1

Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
Under Armour on 11/06/2009 14:33:20 MST Print View

I use Under Armour HeatGear Boxerjock and I love em. They go for $20 usually. They would probably keep you cooler than Merino undies, but Merino keeps the stink away.

-Sid

Edited by Red_Fox on 11/06/2009 14:35:26 MST.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 14:33:49 MST Print View

Check out Minus33 merino boxer briefs... 25 or 30 bucks, and I think they're even more comfortable than the IB ones.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Best Undies: C-9 at Target on 11/06/2009 14:44:45 MST Print View

I've been very happy with "C9 By Champion" antimicrobial boxer briefs from Target. They have two types- one a thin, smooth knit and the other a bit thicker, more open knit, both synthetic. I've found two different leg lengths as well- the shortest are only about 2" while the longer are 4" or so. Color is black.

I prefer the thicker weave with the longer legs. The shorter leg allowed my thighs to chafe against the inseam of my pants where the two pantlegs join. Thicker knit seems to allow better airflow and moisture transport even though it's a little warmer. The antimicrobial treatment is still working after more than a year of wear. They go through the washer and dryer. I've been wearing them for both daily wear and outdoor activities.

Price has been $5-$8. I just looked online and didn't find them at Target. I believe they are the same thing as is sold elsewhere under "Champion", "Duofold", or Duo-Dry brands.

Edited by jimqpublic on 11/06/2009 14:50:59 MST.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re : "Best Undies?" on 11/06/2009 14:54:41 MST Print View

+ 1 for the ExOfficio Boxer/Briefs
they run 25% off sales all the time
Mike

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 15:21:09 MST Print View

As a fan of Merino wool I was looking at the IceBreaker too but opted for ExOfficio. The reasoning was based on the fact that thy dry very quickly so you can wash them every night if you want to.
What I do now is to change into a clean pair after my wash at camp, use that for the night and the next day , wash it and wear the other one,
Franco

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Try running shorts witih a built in brief on 11/06/2009 15:35:43 MST Print View

I use a pair of running shorts with a built in brief for my primary outer wear. I'm currently using GoLite shorts (4 oz). When I put on my shell pants, the shorts stay on and serve as underwear. There are a lot of different kinds of running shorts with briefs on the market. The only hard part is choosing.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 15:41:22 MST Print View

My reviews (from extended use, I've worn through all of my original pairs of these undies):

- Patagonia Boxers: Great fabric, but they ride up horribly so not recommended. I have many pairs of these. I like their wacky patterns.

- REI boxer briefs: the cheapest, most uncool of my hiking boxers actually worked really well. They're made of just standard long john type stuff. They start looking old pretty quickly and the waist band frays, but they perform well throughout their life.

- Marmot boxers: essentially the same as pataguchi boxers, except without the cool patterns. Constantly pulling wedgies.

- Exofficio boxers: I've gone through four pairs of these, so plenty of experience here. I think that they're incredibly comfortable and do indeed hold the stink away. They've proven less durable than other pairs though. I've ripped holes in multiple pairs. The major downside of these is that I experience far more "crotch funk" with them. No, not actually a fungal infection, I'm not that dirty. But in hot, humid conditions when they haven't been washed in a while, they get really uncomfortable. Grossly uncomfortable. It's like they're not breathable enough down there. This hasn't happened with any of my other boxers ever. So I'm not as enthusiastic about these shorts as everyone else seems to be.

- Icebreaker boxers: I've got a pair of shorty boxer briefs, I'd prefer the normal boxer briefs. They're my current favorite. I brought them on a six month international trip along with the exofficio pair and they performed much better. Very comfortable, dry fast, breathe well, don't stink, don't ride up. Downside, as with most thin wool, they're not very durable and have ripped.

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
Even though they're getting worn out... on 11/06/2009 15:41:53 MST Print View

I've yet to have a chafing problem with my UnderArmour Boxer Jock. They're comfy and they're $20. Works for me.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
RE: Best Undies on 11/06/2009 15:44:08 MST Print View

I've tried various synthetics and wool, including the Ex Officios, and have tried running shorts with built in liners... and after everything I've tried, I am most comfortable in Icebreaker Beast, relaxed fit boxer briefs... They list for ~$45, but I've been able to find them for ~$20 -- they've got some up now on Sierra Trading Post in the mid 20s, but STP always has so many coupons, you ought to be able to bring that down.

They work great for days of hiking. They do dry a lot more slowly than synthetics, so you have to keep that in mind if you'll be swimming in them (which I've done several times), but at 2.7oz (size small), for those of us that are just aiming for "lightweight" and not UL or SUL for right now, taking along an extra pair isn't a hassle, and the odor-resistance and comfort easily make it worth it, IMHO.

Underwear is something that is worth splurging on IMHO -- keep the important bits well taken care of, eliminate chaffing, odor, etc... hard to put a price on that.

As a second consideration, the Ex Officio Give-N-Go line of synthetics comes in a close second for me and is about 30% cheaper, with much faster dry-times.

As a counterpoint, I've tried some of the Ibex line (wool like the Icebreaker), and the Icebreaker is far, far superior for hiking comfort.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Best Undies? on 11/06/2009 16:50:51 MST Print View

Thanks for all the input. It seems like I'm on the right track with the IB merinos. I will also check out the Target ones.

It seems that there have been mixed reviews with the Ex Officio ones. @ Jack H: I think their thickness would be a major hindrance with me. I need to keep the moisture low to keep the funk (and funky stuff) at bay.

(I can't believe I just said this on an internet forum. It will surely come up in future Google searches.)

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Best Undies on 11/06/2009 16:51:36 MST Print View

Cuben Thong!

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Best Undies on 11/06/2009 16:58:52 MST Print View

+1 on the Exofficio Briefs.

Much more comfortable/stretchy/breathable vs. the REI briefs that I have....in fact, I won't wear them anymore....too snug for my taste.

-Tony

joseph Otoole
(joe_otoole01)
underwear on 11/06/2009 17:21:43 MST Print View

yep, under armour for me too.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Best Undies ? on 11/06/2009 17:31:53 MST Print View

Strange. I just did a Google search and someone did not like the ExOfficio because they are too thick and afraid of the funk factor. Maybe something more frequent than a weekly wash could do the trick.
Franco

My wife lives on the other side of Oz. Last night she noted on a photo I sent her that I moved some furniture. So she asked me if I had changed anything else in the last month. My reply : yes , my underwear

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
... on 11/06/2009 17:57:08 MST Print View

I've tried quite a few, but I liked Ex Officio the best. The only time I didn't prefer them was in the summer in the desert. They were too thick for that.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Best Undies ? on 11/06/2009 18:04:20 MST Print View

+1 ex officio box/briefs

The other thing that was worked really well for me are sahalie ultralight tights... often turned into box/briefs by cutting off the legs. Very briefable, dries quick, stink has been surprisingly minimal. Only downside is that they get runs.

It's been a bit weird using these tights and a kilt during the summer... I feel like I am turning girly... but they sure helped keep my from swimming in my own sweat.

--mark