Forum Index » Gear Lists » Proposed Philmont Gear list

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Proposed Philmont Gear list on 11/05/2009 21:52:47 MST Print View

I am going with OATC, so this is NOT including the crew gear (stoves, pots, etc)

Shelter:
MLD Duo mid in Sil (15 oz)

Pack:
ULA Circuit (36 oz)

Sleeping:
WM Ultralight (29 oz)
Prolite pad small (11 oz)
GG 1/8" thinlite (2 oz)

Clothes:
Ex-Offico amphi pants
Shirt (I need suggestions)
ULA Rain wrap
Dri ducks top (up in the air)
WM flash jacket
Smart wool merino wool base layer

Misc:
GG trekking poles
2x platypus 1L bottles
platypus 2L bottle

Still don't know about shoes yet. Also, this list is just off the top of my head, so If it seems like I am forgetting something, I probably am.

-Jace

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Proposed Philmont Gear list on 11/05/2009 23:04:05 MST Print View

What's the thinlight for? If you just need insulation, get a blue CCF pad. If you need cushion, gat a POE Ether Thermo 6. I don't think it will be that cold when you're there.

You'll love the Circuit.

Edited by skinewmexico on 11/05/2009 23:10:09 MST.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Proposed Philmont gear list on 11/06/2009 09:30:16 MST Print View

The thinlite is really just to keep my bag clean, as the duo mid is a floorless shelter.... but will probably be replaced with just a painters dropcloth.

-Jace

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Proposed Philmont Gear list on 11/07/2009 18:25:11 MST Print View

So I still need suggestions on a hiking shirt, and also on weather or not I should use the dri-ducks rain shirt (suit minus the pants)?

-Jace

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Proposed Philmont Gear list on 11/07/2009 19:01:43 MST Print View

re: DriDucks jacket ... the prevailing wisdom about Philmont weather is that rain is brief. That pretty much matches what I saw the one time I've been there. So DriDucks might be OK but add duct tape to your list if you decide to use them.

re: water containers ... you know your water needs better that I but doing physical work and likely not moving down the trail too fast towards the next water source you might want more than 4 liters capacity for some days.

I'm also thinking short gaiters might be useful for keeping debris out of your shoes.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

philmont gear list on 11/08/2009 20:36:05 MST Print View

True. I mat add another 2L platypus (another 1.5 oz). Could you suggest for me a pair of gaiters, as I have no experience with them, other then thinking that the old guys hiking with them look like weirdos :p (totally kidding)?

-Jace