Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My avatar
Display Avatars Sort By:
Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
My avatar on 11/04/2009 04:38:21 MST Print View

The following post is the definition of "chaff," but . . .

Several folks on this forum have asked me about or commented on my avatar image, so for the record . . .

One Sunday a couple of years back, I was taking a winter walk at a local Metro Park near Columbus, OH instead of a real BPing expedition. The parks do one winter weekend each year with exhibits and displays along the way. One of them was being proctored by an acquaintance of mine.

As it turned out, more than a few years back, a hapless young brown bear had wandered into the park and started hitting up picnickers for food. The park staff felt they had no choice but to shoot the poor creature.

I am wearing the fur and holding the skull in Hamlet mode. The quotation associated with it is more than slightly modified from Hamlet:

"Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

There's something to learn from the bear's example, both as humans who interact with animals and as humans, particularly Americans, who make huge demands on the larger environment. However, I will leave it to you to decide what those implications are.

In other words, although the pose is meant to be humorous, no disrespect is meant to the bear, who is a noble creature deserving of our respect and protection.

Sorry about the chaff,

Stargazer

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: My avatar on 11/05/2009 15:32:10 MST Print View

Hmmmm, satire, irony or just social commentary... My avatar reflects that our country has the highest ratio of sheep per capita of any country. We were also recently voted as being perceived as the most 'peaceful' country. Maybe that comes from associating so much with all those meek sheep!

I would have voted for somewhere like Tibet or Bhutan, or somewhere with lots of Jainians, as the most peaceful myself, but sadly they don't have many sheep. Yaks just don't do it for me ;)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: My avatar on 11/05/2009 15:41:43 MST Print View

My avatar is simply a result of my laziness to be creative like Lynn and Tom! Have pic, post, and then go annoy people on the forums!

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
RE: "My avatar" on 11/05/2009 15:51:52 MST Print View

Its what we do- walk.
(looks more like me than I would like!)

Edited by djjmikie on 11/05/2009 15:52:39 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: My avatar on 11/05/2009 15:53:22 MST Print View

"Have pic, post, and then go annoy people on the forums!"

I've been told by some that my avatar annoys people on the forum even when I'm not posting :) I consider it multi-tasking.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
RE: Lynn's "My avatar" on 11/05/2009 15:55:54 MST Print View

"I've been told by some that my avatar annoys people on the forum even when I'm not posting :) I consider it multi-tasking."

I find it sooth i n g .....zzz

Edited by djjmikie on 11/05/2009 15:57:27 MST.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Tell your avatar story! on 11/06/2009 04:07:37 MST Print View

BTW, Lynn and Michael,

It is such a hoot to see your avatars stacked on on top of the other. It looks like a foot race -- sheep vs. human. (I suspect the sheep would win, despite the fence.)

Chaffingly yours,

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/06/2009 06:16:07 MST.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
WinterWarlock on 11/06/2009 05:09:26 MST Print View

Cool idea...

A few years ago I went thru the proverbial rough patch - went thru a divorce, then was laid off a month later. Somehow the WinterWarlock from the kids holiday special "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" came to me...his song, "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" became my mantra, and eventually my avatar/hiking name.

Scott

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Tell us about your avatar on 11/06/2009 06:12:14 MST Print View

"It's what we do- walk."

Yes, Michael. Exactly right. I think we sometimes lose track of that amidst the mounds of gear and dread determination to make 25 miles on the AT today (my own failing).

I like to walk. I like being out in the woods with the birds and the bears and the yip, yip, yip of the coyotes at night. A walk in the woods is all I crave, and your avatar says so with a bit of whimsy, of which there is not enough in the world these days.

Chaffingly yours,

Stargazer

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Peaceful on 11/08/2009 05:10:11 MST Print View

We were also recently voted as being perceived as the most 'peaceful' country.

Wonder who did the voting?

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Peaceful on 11/08/2009 12:19:11 MST Print View

"Wonder who did the voting?"

I think they were form Uganda, Palestine, Chernobyl or 3-mile island. I'm pretty sure they weren't from France.

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Brown bear? on 11/08/2009 12:24:12 MST Print View

Totally off topic--but there was a grizzly in an Ohio park?

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

The bear on 11/08/2009 17:57:42 MST Print View

>Totally off topic--but there was a grizzly in an Ohio park?

Brown bear, I think. They've been known to appear in southern Ohio, especially in Shawnee State Forrest, the "Little Smokies."

Stargazer

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: The bear on 11/08/2009 18:50:09 MST Print View

It might have been brown in color, but if it was brown in name it would have made the 6PM news. So a black bear, I think.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

My avatar on 11/09/2009 04:19:48 MST Print View

Black . . . that's right, I think. Sorry. Don't know my bears very well. We see them rarely in Ohio.

* Still inviting folks to share their avatar stories. *

Stargazer