Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Does this sound ok?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Does this sound ok? on 11/02/2009 14:55:46 MST Print View

hey guys,

I am going to be taking a course in snow travel (crampon and ice ax use) and soo I need to start getting those things. So how does the combo of a Black Diamond raven Ax, with the black diamond contact crampons (with the anti-ball plates) sound? The Ax would be about 70cm, or should I go with longer or shorter? I'm 5'10" and i got that number from Freedom of the hills. Would this be too long for general mountaineering, and for steep slopes?

Thanks guys!

-Jace

Scott Toraason
(kimot2)
Does This Sound OK? on 11/03/2009 13:24:47 MST Print View

Since you will be taking a course as I did with the Mountaineers, in all probability it will start with classroom first. I would speak with your instructors for their recommendations or review your gear list, as many outdoor stores have knowledgeable mountaineers that can match crampons to your boots and an ice ax to your physique and requirements.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
does this sound ok? on 11/04/2009 10:34:46 MST Print View

ya, I was going nto take a class with one company who didn't do rentals, but the only class I could make was full, so i am going with a different school, who does. thanks!
-Jace

YAMABUSHI !
(THUNDERHORSE) - F
"Does this sound ok?" on 11/12/2009 22:55:26 MST Print View

Black Diamond Contact Strap w/ anti ball are standard
(and awesome)

On the piolet I would recommend the Raven PRO as opposed to the standard Raven... Shave some weight, better quality

additionally you could go BD Raven Ultra ($20 more than Raven Pro,.5 oz less)

Historia de Piolet:

http://www.grivel.com/Storia/Storia_Det.asp?Cat=P

Cheers,

3T

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
BD Raven Ultra on 11/30/2009 13:30:29 MST Print View

+1 on BD Raven Ultra.

Although i'm short (5-4) and i got a 55cm, now i realized i should have gotten a slightly longer axe for glacier travel since it does help when you walk a lot.

YAMABUSHI !
(THUNDERHORSE) - F
cool collection on 11/30/2009 21:22:02 MST Print View

Piolet

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/847962/Re_My_piolet_collection

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 11/30/2009 21:29:38 MST Print View

really like the Grivel Air Tech vs the Raven series, mainly b/c of the better pick which works OK for Water/Alpine ice