Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pretty funny..

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Tent dude on 11/05/2009 21:34:09 MST Print View

Wow! if you check out his profile on you tube, you will see he is friends with our pal nutnfancy. Cool.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
nutfancy on 11/06/2009 02:08:23 MST Print View

nutfancy in a wig and false beard?

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
nutnfancy on 11/06/2009 10:42:58 MST Print View

I haven't watched all his videos but nutnfancy doesn't have anything on this guy from what I've seen.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Nutfancy on 11/06/2009 10:51:26 MST Print View

I'm trying to imagine carrying a big, old knife like one of his into the bush. One of them weighs more than my pack.

Give him credit, though. At least he is more tolerant of the opposing POV than the Tent Dude.

Still, I get nightmares thinking about the kinds of folks (armed and slightly off center, as it were) who are on the trail with me.

Should have taken up knitting as a hobby.

So what does "nutfancy" mean, anyway?

Stargazer

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

nutnfancy on 11/06/2009 15:29:44 MST Print View

There is a place for those big survival knives if you want to be able to process good sized chunks of wood. Personally I carry a much larger knife than most here (a 4" Benchmade) but it has nothing on nutnfancy's selections.

Oh and his name has an "N" in the middle of it to make it sound like nuthin' fancy... which is ironic because he has some pretty fancy knives.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Pretty funny on 11/06/2009 16:18:15 MST Print View

I watched one of the not fancy videos and yes he does stress the "to each is own " bit.
It certainly strikes me as strange that one would extend his "cape abilities" by carrying a 9lbs raft to catch a trout.
For some reason those kind of guys seem to me more insecure than "independent".
Franco

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

nutnfancy's not fancy raft on 11/06/2009 20:23:44 MST Print View

Yeah, I've watched a couple of nutnfancy's vids. They're rather... boring IMO. Nothing like tent guy since he thinks he needs to explain his philosophy over and over again all the time.

I'd almost be interested in a 9 lb. pack raft if it was a 10th of the cost of an Alpacka raft since it's probably pretty tough... but with all the accessories needed for safety it would surely double most of our base weights.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Nutnfancy -- I get it on 11/06/2009 20:39:48 MST Print View

>Oh and his name has an "N" in the middle of it to make it sound like nuthin' fancy... which is ironic because he has some pretty fancy knives.

Oy, sorry. My dyslexia kicked in again.

Some of those knives look like you could engage in single combat. Survivalist mode really is a completely different (to me, incomprehensible point of view).

These guys are definitely not out for a walk in the woods to hear the birdies tweet. In fact, in a pinch, I'm sure that Nutnfancy would think that the birdie was quite tasty.

Stargazer

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Classic on 11/06/2009 21:13:54 MST Print View

Classic vids. I just love the pitch:TT Pitch

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

On walks in the woods and small swords. on 11/06/2009 23:05:12 MST Print View

Some appreciate nature and some don't. Many survivalists have no appreciation for nature but there are some who are more interested in maintaining primitive skills that we've lost as a race. Personally I appreciate how the Native Americans viewed the world around them and have a great respect for those that have the patience to learn the old ways of making cordage and the like.

His knives do tend to be quite large but they aren't truly fighting knives, however, I'm sure they would serve in a pinch. A true fighting knife isn't really good for much else... though I have used one for more mundane tasks than self defense. This is a true fighting knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerber_Mark_II

As you can see it's not much good for processing wood. It will carve a ham in a pinch but for true usefulness a double edged knife is more dangerous than it's worth and the blade isn't strong enough to really work with. It's a killing tool. Period.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Classic on 11/06/2009 23:15:50 MST Print View

I think Henry should go over to Tent Dude's place and give him a good slap upside the head for pitching his tent that way. I probably could have thrown a wadded up tarptent out of a car window at 70 miles an hour and come up with a better result than this guy.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Pretty funny.. on 11/08/2009 12:02:23 MST Print View

Oooh, I just watched his video review of the NeoAir....he bought it new online, then disses it because it's only 3/4 length. Well hellooooo, YOU bought it that length. In the end he never even bothers to inflate it so it's really quite a non-review. Also pretty funny that he couldn't manage to stay on his mummy shaped mat. I wonder if he was sleeping upside down on it??????

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Sleeping pad reviews on 11/08/2009 14:57:22 MST Print View

I couldn't understand a word he said in those "weigh in" videos for the music blaring.

I thought he was just weighing them and not really complaining about the 3/4 length of the Neoair short.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Winner on 11/08/2009 22:29:10 MST Print View

I don't know how he can pick a winning mattress (Prolite 4 small) when he didn't even inflate the NeoAir.