Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG tarptent in storm?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
MYOG tarptent in storm? on 11/01/2009 22:39:09 MST Print View

For those of you who have made the henry shires original tarptent, how many have used it during a full storm? How did it do? After making my tarptent for 2, I sprayed it a little with my garden hose to make sure the seams didn't leak, but I'm curious as to how it does in an actual rain storm with wind and the works. Anyone?

I've heard the silnylon fabric starts to really stretch after prolonged exposure to the elements and will start to absorb and collect water rather than beading and sheding it off. How true is this? After spraying it with my garden hose, it seemed to hold up fine to me.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Re: MYOG tarptent in storm? on 11/02/2009 12:46:27 MST Print View

No one has used a MYOG silnylon tarptent in the rain?

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: MYOG tarptent in storm? on 11/02/2009 13:06:41 MST Print View

I've used silnylon tarps in gales that collapsed or destroyed expedition tents. Don't know about the tarptent, but, given a competent user, it should do OK.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
exposure on 11/02/2009 13:46:00 MST Print View

No experience with Shires, but a fair amount with sil-nylon. As far as I know, the only exposure that's deleterious is to sunlight. The manufacturer of my tarp recommended pitching in shaded areas and not leaving it erected in base situations for longest life. My tarp does tend to stretch a little making it necessary to cinch up on the guy lines, but I've never known it to leak.