Forum Index » GEAR » lightest waterproof shell

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joseph Scalia
(jscalia) - F

Locale: NorthEast
lightest waterproof shell on 11/01/2009 06:25:31 MST Print View

what is the lightest waterproof shell with hood available on the market?

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Haglof? on 11/01/2009 06:44:02 MST Print View

I'm currently stalking Haglofs' OZ Pullover. It may be the lightest, most breathable piece out there?

North Face has an anorak that is supposed to be the lightest rain gear around. It breathes poorly, though.

This article is still valid.

I remember Etowah had said they were going to make a cuben rain or wind jacket one day. I want one from MLD!

Jack

Edited by figster on 11/01/2009 06:45:02 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : lightest waterproof shell on 11/01/2009 06:51:51 MST Print View

I bought the NF Triumph Anorak as it was the lightest i could find. I didn't find the breathability any worse in use than most other waterproof/breathable fabrics, except e-Vent. I only carry it when every gram counts, and i don't expect constant rain. I wouldn't use it for scrambling on rock either.

I use different shells to suit the weather, use, and terrain expected.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Haglof? on 11/01/2009 07:00:34 MST Print View

I have a Haglöfs Oz Pullover, and whilst it has not seen a lot of use in wet weather, I found it the ideal compliment to my Litespeed for 3 season use. For winter it is Paramo.

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Scrambling on 11/01/2009 07:00:39 MST Print View

I have an earlier Marmot (the model of which im confused about) that has held up very well versus granite and various tree limbs that weighs in at 226 grams. Its time is near and its weight is too much.

What do you use while scrambling, Mike?

Edited by figster on 11/01/2009 07:01:35 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Scrambling on 11/01/2009 07:31:45 MST Print View

Hi Jack.
For climbing and scrambling on rock, i use a CRUX Flak Smock. The Smock has been discontinued though. It is a bombproof mountaineering shell, but too heavy for long distance backpacking, at 456g. I'll carry it for a weekend in the mountains though. In winter, or cold wet weather, i usually use a Paramo Aspira Smock.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Dri Ducks? on 11/01/2009 07:59:14 MST Print View

The lightest is probably a Dri Ducks Jacket at 4.7oz, but there are several shells in the 6-9 oz range.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: Dri Ducks? on 11/01/2009 08:15:25 MST Print View

I'll never buy DriDucks again. I bought a suit for my last trip a few weeks ago, cause it looked like a poncho wasn't going to cut it. The coat zipper completely failed at the trail head - after I zipped it up, the zipper would fall open by itself. luckily i had a bungee in the truck and could hold it together with that as a belt. i also almost caught on fire standing by the campfire. i threw the suit in the trash at the trail head after the trip was done.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: Dri Ducks? on 11/01/2009 11:22:46 MST Print View

DriDucks sewing is often bad, but if you're willing to run it through a sewing machine is still makes for cheap rainwear.

Someone mentioned Cuben rainwear...that surely can't be breathable since it's two plies of polyester film.

Lapsley Hope
(Laps) - M
Quark on 11/01/2009 11:26:50 MST Print View

Mountain Hardwears' QUARK jacket is under 10 oz.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Cuben on 11/01/2009 11:29:38 MST Print View

Yeah cuben's not breathable. I would still use it for pants though as breathability is less important there. A cuben rain jacket would be of more limited purpose, but still neat to have. I would bring a cuben jacket if the forecast was calling for little to no rain and thus I expect to be wearing my rain jkt very little or none at all. If you're in a hurry though and you need to hike hard through the rain then you'd never want a cuben jkt except for in camp. With a cuben rain jacket, I would be hiking very casually or even not at all. This jkt would be ok around camp and darn light.

Edited by dandydan on 11/01/2009 12:54:34 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
OR ZEALOT on 11/01/2009 11:29:56 MST Print View

7.7 oz Gortex Paclite.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

NF Anorak on 11/01/2009 11:31:48 MST Print View

FWIW, The North Face Triumph Anorak is claimed to weigh 160g or 5.6oz. That is pretty darn light if it's true.

My DriDucks size Medium rain jkt weighs 168g or 5.8oz so the NF is indeed lighter. Dang it..more gear to buy.

Edited by dandydan on 11/01/2009 11:33:49 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

NF Anorak on 11/01/2009 12:13:49 MST Print View

My size Large weighs 168g.

Christine Thuermer
(chgeth) - F

Locale: Germany
Haglof Oz Pullover on 11/01/2009 12:41:55 MST Print View

I can just warn everyone NOT to the Haglof Oz Pullover.
Even in Germany I had to pay a fortune for it, but I wanted it for a CDT thruhike. It proved to be a disaster: It leaked like a sieve. When I came back from the CDT I sent it back to the manufacturer and received a new one. I was still skeptical but took it with me for an AT thruhike. Again: Total disaster - not waterproof at all. As I continued on my trip I replaced it with another rain jacket.
This is the worst piece of equipment I ever had!!! This thing is water repellent and a good wind jacket, but not waterproof. And considering the outrageous price it is a rip-off!
Don't buy that jacket - even the cheapest Frogtoggs are better.
Christine

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Leaking on 11/01/2009 12:57:22 MST Print View

Rain gear that leaks is terrible. I've got some Sierra Designs pants that leak huge right through the membrane. If I sit down on a wet surface, I get a wet butt almost instantly. Obviously I don't use them anymore. They leaked like this right through the membrane from the start. I just don't get it. Do manufacturers not test their gear? And if they do, why sell rain gear that won't keep out the rain? Utterly pointless and frustrating for the user.

Hartley F
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Goretex Pac Lite on 11/05/2009 12:38:27 MST Print View

I like this stuff too. It has such a nice soft feel and doesn't make much noise. Arcteryx uses it a lot.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Plus one for DriDucks on 11/05/2009 13:16:35 MST Print View

At 200 bucks, the Haglofs' OZ Pullover is just a tad pricey for the features, IMHO.

The Driducks are light (5.8 oz for the whole outfit) and really cheap. If they tear (the ubiquitous greenbriar is the chief culprit in Ohio) a bit o' the old duct tape fills the bill. Around here, you prove your hiking prowess by the number of duct-tape patches on your DD's.

To repeat a proviso mentioned earlier: The sewing on the zipper is sometimes poor. Before you hit the trail, stitch or ten at the bottom of both sides of the zipper will help to prevent zipper separation. Inexpensiveness and light weight does sometimes involve some trade-offs. :-)

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/05/2009 13:18:44 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Plus one for DriDucks on 11/05/2009 13:21:10 MST Print View

"Driducks are light (5.8 oz for the whole outfit)"

Your whole DriDucks outfit weighs 5.8oz? Just my size medium DriDucks jkt weighs that much. The whole outfit is over 10oz.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
DriDucks on 11/05/2009 13:28:14 MST Print View

My size small jacket is 4.7oz, so the outfit has to be around 10.