Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Tarptent for 2 is done!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Tarptent for 2 is done! on 10/29/2009 18:14:26 MDT Print View

Thanks to my AWESOME mom! My tarp-tent for 2 is done!!! Here are a few pics of it set up. I jumped the gun in pitching it seeing how my custom easton poles havn't arrived yet, so just picture it with a rear pole... ;-)Me in tarptentEnough room for 2.  Me and my mom in the tarptent.  My wife is camera-shy.  ;-)

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

pullouts on 10/29/2009 18:16:16 MDT Print View

corner reinforcementrear ridgeline reinforcement

Stephen Adamczyk
(shootera3) - F
tarptent on 10/29/2009 18:24:16 MDT Print View

Nice job, it really looks good. Thank your mother for helping.

John Davis
(billybooster) - F

Locale: So Cal
good job! on 10/29/2009 18:35:34 MDT Print View

my sewing machine is on its way.... really looking forward to making stuff i already own that doesnt look as good but feels better!

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: tarptent on 10/29/2009 18:41:29 MDT Print View

Thanks! I can't take much credit. My mom did all the sewing. I just helped with the planning and little things such as hammer the grommets in and set up the guylines and such. My mom did all the hard stuff. Not sure on an exact weight yet since I don't have a scale sensitive enough. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 18 oz including stakes and guyline. The poles I ordered will add another 3 oz total.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
What material did you end up using? on 10/29/2009 21:11:23 MDT Print View

Justin,

What material did you end up using? I have been leaning towards owfinc SilNylon 2nds. I have been scouring the site for all MYOG tents because I plan on making one soon!

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: What material did you end up using? on 10/29/2009 21:25:55 MDT Print View

Well, I had the opportunity to talk with Henry Shires as well as a few BPL staff members who all told me to steer clear of silnylon seconds for a number of reasons. That being said, I used SilNylon firsts (if that's the term). I did the "garden hose water test" to mine and no water got through any of the seems or anything. Water tight. According to everyone I talked to, the SilNylon seconds do not have the same waterproof abilities and will cause water to "mist" through the material. All in all, the whole thing was about 60 bucks total. All the fabric was purchased from thru-hiker.com. There are a few tips we discovered along the way:

1) instead of using pins to hold the fabric while sewing, we found a very cool water soluable "tape" like material that we used instead. WAY better and easier than using pins because it held the fabric together better without slipping at all. When finished sewing, the tape disolves completely with a little bit of water. No residue, nothing. It worked perfectly.

2) The 1/2 inch webbing for the pullouts is fine for the corner and side pullouts, but for the ridgeline pullouts, 3/4 or even 1 inch webbing works MUCH better; especially when installing the grommets.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Tarptent for 2 is done! on 10/29/2009 22:03:08 MDT Print View

Nice! Are you considering putting beaks on one or both ends?

Tell us more about this tape ... impressive stuff if it adheres to silnylon!

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Interesting tape on 10/29/2009 22:10:16 MDT Print View

Justin where do you find such tape?

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Re: Tarptent for 2 is done! on 10/29/2009 22:17:49 MDT Print View

Yes, I plan to put the beaks on a little later. They are cut out, just not attached yet.

The tape is made by Dritz and was purchased through Jo-Ann fabrics. It is 1/4 wide and double sided. It worked like a charm in keeping the slippery silnylon fabric in place while sewing. When you're done sewing the seam, the tape disolves with a little bit of water with NO residue or anything left. Like it wasn't even there to begin with. The double sided part is important! Works like a charm.

Also, we found it VERY helpful to use a laser level to help cut all the angles perfectly.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Jo-Ann on 10/29/2009 22:21:19 MDT Print View

I just so happen to have Jo-Ann headquarters 1 town away from me. I'll have to check out the tape. It sounds perfect! Even pins don't like to keep Sil Nylon perfectly aligned and I don't like adding more holes.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Jo-Ann on 10/29/2009 22:29:30 MDT Print View

That tape was a godsend. It's worth its weight in gold, trust me.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Jo-Ann on 10/29/2009 23:26:42 MDT Print View

Justin, the tarp looks great.

From the images it looks extremely low at the foot end, are you going to be able to ensure that your sleeping system doesnt touch the Sil?

Perhaps there is some height adjustment that can be made?

Cheers

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Re: Re: Jo-Ann on 10/29/2009 23:29:38 MDT Print View

Yes, it is pitched VERY low in the pictures. My custom easton poles havn't arrived yet and I just wanted to roughly pitch it to check it out. The poles will be 40" for the front and 20" for the back. I do not have a rear pole in the picture, so it is very low. You just have to picture it 20" higher in the back. ;-) I will post more pics when my poles get here and I can set it up for real.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Jo-Ann on 11/04/2009 04:06:55 MST Print View

Thanks Justin,

Cheers

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Floor Material? on 11/04/2009 08:59:38 MST Print View

Is the floor no-see-um mosquito netting or?

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: Floor Material? on 11/04/2009 12:01:29 MST Print View

I did not make it with a floor. I use a tyvek groundcloth that I made.

Lucas Boyer
(jhawkwx) - MLife

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
re: grommet pressing on 11/09/2009 07:46:09 MST Print View

Justin, did you buy the kit to press the grommets or did you craft a diy method?

I used those plastic grommets and the first outing saw one come apart and I lost one half, so now I'm without a grommet.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Re: re: grommet pressing on 11/09/2009 18:41:34 MST Print View

I bought the #1 grommet kit from REI. Worked perfectly. I really hammered the grommet on very tightly so it's not going anywhere. They are brass, but with only 2 grommets, the weight is negligable.

Andrew Preece
(gunn_parker) - F

Locale: The Hills of Perth
Level? on 11/10/2009 00:34:46 MST Print View

Hi, Good job well done.
How did you use the level to get the edges straight?
thanks