Forum Index » Chaff » U.B.E. Continuation

Display Avatars Sort By:
Anna Carter
(acarter_1) - F

Locale: Pacific NW U.S.
U.B.E. Continuation on 10/29/2009 13:00:37 MDT Print View

Okay guys...here you go...are we capable of keeping the conversation civil without a monitored forum?

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: "U.B.E. Continuation" on 10/29/2009 13:05:06 MDT Print View

I didn't notice anything that wasn't civil in the other thread, did I miss something...?

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Carry on on 10/29/2009 13:33:00 MDT Print View

I don't think you missed anything John.
Some folk requested a move to chaff, so Anna obliged. :)

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
church on 10/29/2009 13:44:32 MDT Print View

Dave I agree with you to a point, if I were the pope I would insist on wearing a simple woolen robe like the poor Franciscan monks. But I also don't think he can be condemned for wearing silk robes either.

I also agree that the sex abuse scandal was handled very poorly but the Church can't be condemned as a whole for it, there are evil people everywhere and that includes the Church.

They do tend to the lepers in Dehli and there are many religious men and women that take on a life of idealism and poverty like you speak of. In fact the Church's greatest Saints were such people walking around in simple woolen robes and sandals, many even insisted on going barefoot as the Franciscan Friars originally required.

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

civility on 10/29/2009 13:46:01 MDT Print View

I think it has been pretty civil, it just got way off topic

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

UBE Cont. on 10/29/2009 13:56:37 MDT Print View

The whole religious thing seemed to set folk off there!
One question though, in the poorest 3rd world village, why does the biggest house usually belong to the priest or minister?

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
"U.B.E. Continuation" on 10/29/2009 14:00:05 MDT Print View

Because the money for it came from the developed world and not the local economy...?

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

village on 10/29/2009 14:01:19 MDT Print View

Usually priests live in a communal rectory at the church. My friend who is a priest in a rather rich area lives in a rectory with other priests and his room is rather modest and small.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re : UBE Cont on 10/29/2009 14:01:29 MDT Print View

Why not spend it on the local community?

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

example on 10/29/2009 14:03:24 MDT Print View

I would like to see some examples if you would, not that I don't believe their are excesses out there, it just would help see more what you are talking about. Most Catholic monks, priests, and nuns do take vows of poverty to one degree or another and live on communal property. And especially in third world countries it is usually very modest.

Edited by michaeltn2 on 10/29/2009 14:08:36 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re : UBE Cont on 10/29/2009 14:07:10 MDT Print View

I'm ducking out of this debate, as there is no 'right' answer. Any debate based on a hypothetical being can have only one outcome.
Happiness to all. :)

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

peace on 10/29/2009 14:15:53 MDT Print View

that's cool man, I am not going to try and prove God's existence or anything because I can't. I am just defending some common unfair accusations.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re : peace on 10/29/2009 14:59:03 MDT Print View

Cool Michael. On this side of the pond it's 'beer time', so my debating skills have went walkies! :)