Forum Index » Chaff » Avatar

Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Avatar on 10/28/2009 21:49:27 MDT Print View

This is kind of goofy but some of the avatars on BPL show off some really cool places. I am always wondering, "where is that?"

So, if you feel like it, describe the place, event,and whatever shown in your avatar. Mine is just a cropping of a shot taken at the trail head of Long's Peak from 2006.

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
Avatar - where are you? on 10/29/2009 00:14:32 MDT Print View

Laurence, I've had the same wonderings on numerous occasions.

I think mine's obvious - Yosemite. Specifically, this was my first trip up Yosemite Falls. Pic is from the top of the falls, Glacier Point just off right edge, Half Dome across, and I think, the Clark range is what's visible behind/right of Half Dome in the distance. Red Peak is behind & left of Glacier Pt.

Jack Newton
(figster) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
USVI on 10/30/2009 07:07:37 MDT Print View

United States Virgin Islands - Virgin Island National Park - St John. Rented an expensive house, drank a dozen cocktails a day by noon, and pounded out all of their trail. Great place, good times.

Behind me is the Atlantic followed by Brazil.

Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
What's the story behind your avatar image? on 12/22/2009 17:55:21 MST Print View

Since we have an "Ugly Mug" post I would like to see if there is any interest in "Describe Your Avatar". Some show some pretty cool places or some pretty cool images. It would be interesting to hear the story behind the image.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: What's the story behind your avatar image? on 12/22/2009 18:01:19 MST Print View

Mine is a self portrait just before dawn on Pawnee Pass last Fall. I'm busting trail towards Lone Eagle Peak alone and in the snow.

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:03:20 MST Print View

Just me cropped from my dad and grandpa this past year on a fishing trip up in Ontario, Canada. We where landing on some island to do a shore lunch.

Edited by Berner9 on 12/22/2009 18:04:10 MST.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:05:52 MST Print View

In a cave in Stephen's Gulch, Escalante, ca. 2006 :)

Jonathan DeYoung
(jdeyoung81) - F

Locale: New England
Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:06:56 MST Print View

This is my 2 y/o Chocolate Lab. Her name is Taylor (or TayBomb as she has a tendency to bomb into me on the trails). The picture is of her atop mt. cardigan in New Hampshire on a cool late spring day. She goes crazy for her Granite Gear pack and even tries to put in on herself!

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Not breathtaking but ... on 12/22/2009 18:16:14 MST Print View

... it is what it is. Gravel Springs shelter on the AT in Shenandoah National Park.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:25:14 MST Print View

Gornergrat (Switzerland), looking towards the Matterhorn (obviously).

(The green frog outfit - Main Range, Mt Twynam, Kosciusko NP, Australia.)

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:27:28 MST Print View

My shadow on the trail from Maroon Lake to Crater Lake, near Aspen, Co...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:30:19 MST Print View

Me on top of Mt. Pleasant in the Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area, Va., Dec. 2008. Something tells me there's a lot more snow now than there was a year ago this time!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:34:35 MST Print View

John Muir Wilderness,Crown Basin-Finger Peak 12,404ft.
On my way to the Enchanted Gorge and Goddard Creek 2005.

Edited by Creachen on 12/22/2009 18:39:24 MST.

Judi Henson
(ritzhenson) - F

Locale: The Deep South
Avatar on 12/22/2009 18:38:43 MST Print View

A photo I shot a couple of years ago...about my normal state of mind. It's titled "Lose Something?"

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Avatar on 12/22/2009 19:05:21 MST Print View

I thought I was going to find out if the new movie is really worth seeing. It would be my second movie viewed in a theater this year, I think that would be a record for me.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 19:08:47 MST Print View

Mine was taken early one morning back in June of this year at a camp high above Lost Creek in the Lost Creek Wilderness, Colorado.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 20:16:45 MST Print View

Hey Jay,

Did you make it down Enchanted Gorge and back up Goddard Creek? I'm always looking for first hand accounts. I went over Rheinstein Pass into the headwaters of Goddard Creek a couple of years ago, but took a pass on Enchanted Gorge since it was mid August; I felt it was a bit late to chance the snow bridges in the Gorge. I'd be real interested to hear about your experience.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Avatar on 12/22/2009 21:04:36 MST Print View

I'm actually not sure. It's somewhere in the Sierra, on the PCT, north of VVR and South of Red's Meadow. It's likely that it's the pass shot from Selden or Silver Pass. Anyone recognize it? What's the range and the canyon that you see? The full photo is below.asdfads

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that it's Silver Pass and that those mountains in the background at the Minarets.

Edited by Found on 12/22/2009 21:07:37 MST.

robert k
(kindalite) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
re:avatar on 12/22/2009 21:31:42 MST Print View

Carson Falls; Marin Municipal Water District, Marin Co.,CA

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Avatar on 12/22/2009 21:37:46 MST Print View

Daughter and I - Moab, Arches NP, I think that is Skyline Arch.