Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/20/2009 22:03:28 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
24: Garnet Mountain on 10/20/2009 22:25:56 MDT Print View

AWESOME!. Really need to rent Bear Basin Butte lookout up here now.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/20/2009 22:47:14 MDT Print View

Very, very nice. I am loving this series.

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re:24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 05:10:06 MDT Print View

Love the video! Looking forward to more from this series.

Justin Marney
(gotascii) - M

Locale: Shenandoah
24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 07:10:16 MDT Print View

Decided to re-post this in its own thread as to not incite a thread jacking. Great video Ryan, love the series!

Edited by gotascii on 10/23/2009 12:49:35 MDT.

Alexander Laws
(goldenmeanie) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
nice! on 10/21/2009 09:20:36 MDT Print View

Great camera work Ryan! Lovely spot!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 09:38:35 MDT Print View

Just keep rubbin' it in..............

And do another video on Jiffy Pop, I've been trying for 40 years to make it without burning it!

Edited by skinewmexico on 10/21/2009 10:15:58 MDT.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 11:02:58 MDT Print View

Ryan, great series- thanks for showing your food bin (though I'll never use the spam). I also applaud your understanding how the eleven year old hikes- it really helps that you spent time with this age boys before you had your own- your patience on the hike up made for a much better trip for everyone and improved your relationship with your son.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 11:55:38 MDT Print View

Excellent Ryan, having spent a number of years taking young persons into the outdoors my feelings and experiences completely resonate with yours.

Thanks

Aaron Zuniga
(gliden2) - F

Locale: Northwest
Re:24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 12:12:46 MDT Print View

Ryan,

Thanks for this series sharing the simplicity of Ul hiking.It's this type of info that makes getting out with only short amount of time possible, and fun; Thanks! I hope Chase didn't bring that camp chair you found in his pack =).

Darren Johnson
(woodworkerfella) - F

Locale: Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
Video on 10/21/2009 19:50:24 MDT Print View

Nice video work! I know that took you hours and hours to put together. The quality shows that. Did you use iMovie to edit it?

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Video on 10/21/2009 20:28:16 MDT Print View

Real nice. Enjoyed.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/21/2009 20:57:11 MDT Print View

Very nice!
Great message well delivered.
Very good that the boys dictated the flow of the trip.
Love your taste in music.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
24 Part 2 on 10/21/2009 21:44:03 MDT Print View

Ryan - what a wonderful series this is! I'm so enjoying it. It's so nice to see kids in the wilderness, instead of being locked in the city or even worse, a ghetto area. I know from the hikes I remember my dad taking me on when I was little, that your son will remember these times forever. It's a very special bond.

The more I see of the area near where you live, the more I want to move there. I currently live in s.e. Michigan, 16 miles s.w. of Detroit. In 4 years, I will be able to afford to do early retirement and am scouting out good places out west to move to. I want to buy an acre of two of land on which to put my tiny house on wheels, and be close to backpacking areas. Here where I live, it's at least a 6 hour drive to get to a good backpacking area.

I wonder if Backpacking Light could include articles about great places to live near great backpacking areas?

Pax,
Kathy

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Oh, yeah on 10/21/2009 21:47:49 MDT Print View

Jiffy Pop rocks! However, I can only pop it over my stove; I've always ended up burning it over a campfire. :)

Kathy

Kelly Brent
(kbrent) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
Video on 10/21/2009 22:15:16 MDT Print View

Well Done Ryan!

The video is impressive in all respects!

Business is extremely demanding these days.

The series truly inspires one to get away for 24 hours...

Having a son similar in age in Scouts I find this video particularly appealing...

It is easy to share BPL with other Scouting parents….

May you enjoy much success!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/22/2009 02:07:56 MDT Print View

This series is inspiring! It's giving me lots of ideas on how to organize so I can go out at last-minute notice instead of spending a week in preparation (mostly food, which I should be preparing during the winter, when I don't backpack). The last-minute fast prep is particularly needed for spring and fall outings, when fair weather windows in the Pacific NW are usually very short. The series is also giving me ideas for going out with my grandkids!

I do have some questions and comments:

Chase's gear and clothing list? Please? (Aside from the chair--I hope you convinced him to leave it behind because there were chairs in the cabin!) With my 9-year-old grandson, it's books! How much weight does Chase carry (without chair!)? What kind of backpack?

Ant lions are among the most fascinating of all critters! When my kids were Chase's age, they would spend the whole day "feeding" them!

Re storage of food in the plastic bin--I've had two instances of mice gnawing through them. I think they enjoy the plastic, because in neither case did they gnaw any of the contents. Last week, some rodent got into my car parked two nights at the trailhead (how can they get into a completely closed car?). It chewed up my apple (the orange was left untouched, fortunately), chewed a big hole in a plastic bin of camping gear (fortunately didn't chew the tent inside) and chewed up a full pocket pack of kleenex. I don't understand why they like the plastic, but it's definitely not mouse-proof!

Renting lookouts--how long in advance do you need to do this? Here in Oregon, they are very popular and you usually need to reserve months in advance--hardly a spur of the moment activity.

Poor Maia looked so sad being left behind in her kennel! What a sweet dog! I hope you can take her along next time! After your first "24" film, I'm still trying to teach my Hysson to shake himself off on command.

Edited by hikinggranny on 10/22/2009 02:16:58 MDT.

Truls Cronberg
(truls.cronberg) - F
. on 10/23/2009 08:16:16 MDT Print View

Edited by truls.cronberg on 07/16/2010 04:11:42 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana on 10/23/2009 18:27:37 MDT Print View

Thanks, Truls, I'll try that!

Nicolas Costes
(ncostes) - F
Why do you keep on using gallons and ounces ? on 10/24/2009 05:35:51 MDT Print View

Be modern, use metric system ;-)

Although the american audience may still relate more to gallons and ounces, why don't you add metric system measures?

Why do I mention this ?

I thoroughly enjoyed the video (weel done) and the subject, but my viewing was marred by having to stop and think several times to do the conversions in my head (like carrying 2 gallons of water), same thing when reading the gear lists.

Edited by ncostes on 10/24/2009 05:38:02 MDT.