Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Shopping gear in Chicago?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jörgen Johansson
(Jorgen) - M

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com
Shopping gear in Chicago? on 10/19/2009 13:58:26 MDT Print View

I'm going to Chicago on business in a couple of days. Any good stores for (light) gear to be recommended.

Jörgen

(Trooper) - F
Re: Shopping gear in Chicago? on 10/22/2009 19:56:27 MDT Print View

I lived there for five years. I wasn't backpacking at the time, just preparing for it. REI in Oakbrook comes to mind, but that isn't a revelation and they have a great website. North Face has a store downtown and my friends were impressed, but my impression is they focus heavily on clothing. In short, I don't think there is a must-see store.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Chgo gear stores on 10/22/2009 20:27:07 MDT Print View

If The North Face is still located at the base of the John Hancock Center, check it out. That 96-story building anchors the north end of Chicago's "Miracle Mile," which is a street worth walking (from the Chicago River north to Oak Street Beach). Have a drink at the 94th Floor bar, check out the view. Buying lightweight gear isn't everything. Seeing cool places is.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Two others on 10/23/2009 03:53:26 MDT Print View

Moosejaw has a store there....near the Goose Island restaurant. Also, there's an independent backpacking gear store in Lincoln park near Depaul. Don't remember the name but it's on Lincoln ave near Wrightwood.

Zachary Crane
(zcrane) - F

Locale: Midwest, USA
Re: Two others on 10/25/2009 10:09:51 MDT Print View

I went to the Moosejaw store yesterday. I must say, I was pretty disappointed. 80% of the store was clothing and jackets, and about 5% was climbing gear. The remainder consisted of a few packs, a little bit of cooking gear, maybe a bag or two, and then general accessories.

Unless you're looking for clothes or planning to be in the area already, I'm not sure I would recommend going there...

The Lincoln Park REI is a pretty nice store though. And if you're looking for some Patagonia stuff, there's a store along North Clybourne, just down from REI.