Hacking up bag to make quilt?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
Hacking up bag to make quilt? on 10/18/2009 23:13:37 MDT Print View

I have a campmor brand 20* bag that I was thinking of hacking up to make a quilt. I know its a low quality fill but its still a good bag and has kept me warm to below freezing. Im thinking if I utilize all the down in the baffles, cut it a bit narrower and stuff the down from the draft tube and hood in the baffles I should be able to use it closer to 20*. It has 20oz of 550 fill down so it should fill 11000 ci
The nunatak and jrb 20* quit both use 12oz of 800+ fill so that's 10200ci if calculated with 850fill. So in theory it should be as warm if not warmer right but just heavier?

Also, since it's not long enough to cover my head Id need an insulated balaclava, would the Backpacking Light PRO 90 Balaclava be warm enough? I alternate from sleeping on my back and sides so cant just sew on and an extension to use while on my side. Id also wear a wool balaclava to cover my nose as well :D

Any tips would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Jeff Patrick
(callmeammo) - F

Locale: Sacramento
down on 10/18/2009 23:43:27 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=25121&skip_to_post=205491#205491

somebody is selling 750 down if you want to replace your down or supplement it.