Another tarptent question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Another tarptent question on 10/16/2009 11:14:58 MDT Print View

I'm in the process of making the original tarptent for 2. I do not use trekking poles since I do not like to have anything in my hands while I hike (tried them, hate them.) does anyone know if the substitute poles sold on henry shires website will work for the original tarptent for 2? If so, what size?

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Another tarptent question on 10/16/2009 11:22:20 MDT Print View

Novel idea - email Henry and ask him.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Re: Another tarptent question on 10/16/2009 12:28:48 MDT Print View

I guess that is an option, huh... ;-)

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Another tarptent question on 10/16/2009 14:45:44 MDT Print View

Quoted from tarptent.com

"Easton aluminum poles (.340"). Tarptent: 36" front and 18" rear; Tarptent-for-2: 40" front and 20" rear. (Note: larger poles can also be used with the original Tarptent at some loss to interior space) Easton poles are extremely strong, slightly flexible, and very light. A set of poles weighs 2.5 ounces for the Tarptent or 3 ounces for the Tarptent-for-2. Poles should have grommet tip on one end and be capped on the other end. The front pole should be shock-corded to prevent losing a section and for easier and faster set-up. Trekking poles may also be substituted. "

Look at quest outfitters for all you need. Try the .344 poles they are just as strong but a good bit lighter.

If you aren't comfortable making your own i could do it for you for not much at all.

-Tim

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 10/16/2009 14:47:03 MDT.