Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Removing down from a bag.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Removing down from a bag. on 10/16/2009 10:08:41 MDT Print View

I have an older -40dF that I just dont use anymore. Too warm.

I was thinking about removing maybe 8 or 14 oz of down from it and maybe build something else with that.

It has v baffles so it would probably be a nightmare.

The fill seam is on the inside opposite the zipper so that looks easy. Not sure about the V baffles though.

So if I removed 14-16 oz of down I am not sure what would happen to the loft considereing it has V baffles since it is not designed for less down and I dont want any thin spots.

The design loft is 6" top, 4" bottom.

Than again maybe I sould just try to sell it again. Its faded but still in good shape.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Removing down is usually a waste of time on 10/16/2009 15:31:31 MDT Print View

Do you know the honest fill capacity of the down in your bag? It may not be high enough to be worth the trouble.

The problem with V baffles is that you may not have enough room to reach in and get a fistfull of down.

I understand wanting to revive/modify a bag that is an old friend. I have an ancient Ski-Hut bag (as per Collin Fletcher) which probably had 650 cubic inch down when God was a little girl. I have thought about replacing the old down with good 800+ down, but the bag would still be on the heavy side because of the heavy-duty fabric. Consequently, it hangs in the closet while I make and use UL quilts.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Removing down from a bag on 10/16/2009 16:39:37 MDT Print View

The bag weighs 4# without the collar so I would guess 850+.
It was the very top of the line at the time.