Forum Index » GEAR » Drying out a Platy

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Drying out a Platy on 10/15/2009 20:42:33 MDT Print View

Any hints on getting a 1L Platy to dry out completely?

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Drying out a Platy on 10/15/2009 21:05:27 MDT Print View

I suspend mine from a towel rack for several days and turn it over when I get up and when I go to bed. It helps to have it in a warm room. Pain in the butt to get small mouthed containers to dry out fully.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Drying out a Platy on 10/15/2009 21:19:23 MDT Print View

In my gear room I have some of those little backpacker’s clothespins attached to the edge of a shelf. I blow the Platy up to keep the sides from touching then clip it by the bottom edge with the spout hanging down. We keep a 4 ft fluorescing light burning full time to discourage Black Widow spiders and it provides enough warmth from the ballasts to keep it fairly dry in there which helps too.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Drying out a Platy on 10/15/2009 21:26:40 MDT Print View

I just set mine outside for 30 minutes. But it's a dry heat.

Oh wait, I got one of those special camelback hangers in a box of stuff I bought from Boozer. Works pretty good.

Edited by skinewmexico on 10/15/2009 22:58:55 MDT.

Tony Fleming
(TonyFleming) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Drying out a Platy on 10/15/2009 21:36:34 MDT Print View

I use an aquarium air pump and run a hose into it to blow air in it. This dries it out in a couple hours. I usually leave it overnight.

Tony

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
a broken hanger on 10/15/2009 22:05:37 MDT Print View

If you have a plastic hanger, just break it at one of the corners, cut some off and push the bottom part of the hanger into the platy so that it keeps it open, then just hang in closet, works on all bladders

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Drying on 10/16/2009 00:35:45 MDT Print View

I just shake out as much water as I can and then leave mine sitting out for a few days on the counter while the rest evaporates. If you are in a hurry, you could somehow secure a small towel to a stick to dry most of the inside.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 10/16/2009 01:16:30 MDT Print View

if the opening is wide enough you can bend a wire coathanger to form a frame to hold it open - then place it somehwere with air circulation to dry.

My faverite form of short term storrage though is freezing. Empty, freeze, then just remove for use - they quikly warm up.

hunter nelson
(hunt4car) - F
its easy... on 10/16/2009 01:25:54 MDT Print View

Cut it in to many small pieces and blow dry each piece 2 times thoroughly.

I like to cut mine in to octagons with the surface area of 2.3354 cm if that helps you any.
Good luck!

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Drying out a Platy on 10/16/2009 01:27:06 MDT Print View

I have a bent metal hanger that i use for the purpose. But if I'm using it every week or so, it also keep it in the freezer.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Drying out a Platy on 10/16/2009 04:00:29 MDT Print View

I stuff a new Handi Wipe in it, use part of a wire coat hanger to move it around, and pull it out. I leave it open until I feel like it's time to pack it away.

bryan Schuetz
(bryanschuetz) - F
+1 Coat Hanger on 10/16/2009 08:24:05 MDT Print View

I'm also a fan of the coat hanger approach I use the arms of the hanger to keep the bladder expanded and then hang it from a ceiling vent. Dries overnight no problem.

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Re: Drying out a Platy on 10/16/2009 08:30:01 MDT Print View

Jason Klass had a nice idea on his website awhile back (video included). Essentially the idea is to buy an inexpensive aquarium pump and some tubing, shove the tubing down inside the platy, and turn on the pump. It dries quick and effectively.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2009/07/drying-hydration-systems-quickly.html

Edited by regultr on 10/16/2009 08:32:33 MDT.

Brett Morgan
(whyDRIVE) - F

Locale: East Tennessee
freeeezing on 10/16/2009 08:35:08 MDT Print View

just stick it in a plastic ziploc and then put it in the freezer. i don't even dry it out. whenever you get back, empty it and stick it in the freezer

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
+1 for the Aquarium air pump on 10/16/2009 10:51:39 MDT Print View

I got a $10 aquarium air pump and some "T" connectors so I can dry out several containers at once.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Toss it into a Car on a Sunny Day on 10/16/2009 12:44:22 MDT Print View

Other than air drying as others have previously mentioned, I often will toss mine into my car, which is parked outside in the sun to dry mine out.

Only thing that you need to be careful of is how hot of a day it is.

Don't want to fry the plastic and make it brittle.

-Tony

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Drying out a Platy" on 10/16/2009 13:03:35 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the tips.......