Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
biggest on 01/14/2010 14:08:51 MST Print View

Yes but those two gatherings are not exclusively ultralight. Want to talk to you about the Lost Coast next weekend.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

2nd ANNUAL POINT REYES Friday night!!!!!!!!!!! on 01/14/2010 14:10:46 MST Print View

NM.

Edited by kthompson on 01/14/2010 14:13:53 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: "THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP" on 01/14/2010 18:12:51 MST Print View

I was looking at long range weather and all I could come up with was a 7 day outlook and we have rain so far until Thurs. Hope we get a break on Fri-Sun.

Also, folks let's think about bringing some charcoal. The kind that lights with a match and not the type that you need lighter fluid for. If we all split some up, then we should have some warmth for the evening.

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Re: "THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP" on 01/14/2010 21:17:58 MST Print View

> all I could come up with was a 7 day outlook

My desktop weather gadget from The Weather Channel has a 10-day forecast, out through Saturday. Here's what it says for Pt. Reyes Station:

. Wed: 50% chance of showers 43* low, 48* high
. Thu: 60% chance of showers 42* low, 50* high
. Fri: 60% chance of showers 41* low, 53* high
. Sat: 60% chance of showers 42* low, 53* high

Edited by blean on 01/14/2010 21:18:32 MST.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
hoping for rain on THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP on 01/14/2010 21:25:01 MST Print View

Hopefully the star of setting up a hexamid will arrive in the bay area before the trip. It would be nice to have rain and wind so it can show it's stuff.

--mark

Edited by verber on 01/14/2010 21:27:06 MST.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: hoping for rain on THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP on 01/14/2010 21:52:56 MST Print View

I was out there on Sunday, it was a little rainy and blustery - and really beautiful. My first time there. I posted a photo on my blog from late Sunday afternoon, right after I got swallowed by a rogue wave, playing chicken while trying to get a close up shot of the surf.

I found myself dreaming of camping on a knoll overlooking the Pacific. Dang, I wish I could join you guys.

I do miss the ocean.

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
one of my fav's on 01/14/2010 22:01:35 MST Print View

camping at reyes is great, just have to remember that everything gets wet when you camp close to the sea...

also I think it would really cap the trip off if you could make it ryan... I'm sure I'm not alone in this ;)

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Re: Re: hoping for rain on THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP on 01/14/2010 22:43:11 MST Print View

> little rainy and blustery .. posted a photo

nice picture. pretty common this time of year. It tends to be windy but not so wet in the spring and summer.

> I got swallowed by a rogue wave

a common problem that gets worse as you head north to the lost coast. I don't understand the dynamics that produces rogue ways, but most of the times I have been caught it's been up that way.

> Dang, I wish I could join you guys.

We would have loved for you to join us. Maybe next year.

--Mark

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: hoping for rain on THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP on 01/15/2010 07:59:31 MST Print View

Yeah Ryan it would have been very cool to have you around on this trip. Do yourself a favor sometime, please camp at Point Reyes. As you noticed, it is a special place

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
The 2nd Annual Point Reyes Bay Area BPL Trip on 01/15/2010 10:42:30 MST Print View

Fellow Bay Area BPLer's,

I'm considering writing a short email to Tom Stienstra (the local backpacker who writes books and weekly newspaper articles about backpacking in local Bay Area papers) telling him about our outing next week. My hope is that he would show up to see the gear then write an article that would be seen by the masses.

Comments?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: The 2nd Annual Point Reyes Bay Area BPL Trip on 01/15/2010 10:55:41 MST Print View

Casey,

Hey, I think that it is a great idea.

Anything that can help get some exposure to motivate people to get outdoors and to light weight alternatives to traditional backpacking is a good thing.

To help "sell" him on the idea of coming out, maybe you want to email him a link to the photo gallery of the photo essay from last year to give him an idea of what we did?

Regarding the charcoal, even though I won't be there to start the hike out with all of you, I am going to make a point to pack a few lbs of charcoal in my pack.

Skinny dude that I am with my love of fire and staying warm, I will bring as much as I can.

Hope others can bring some too...just sorry that I was not able to follow thru with my original plan to have baggies pre made up for people to carry in.

-Tony

Edited by Valshar on 01/15/2010 10:57:07 MST.

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Re: The 2nd Annual Point Reyes Bay Area BPL Trip on 01/15/2010 18:23:48 MST Print View

Ill be happy to bring some match light and some bags for folks, (not to sound like a hippy ;) BUT I just hate the idea of using that many PLASTIC bags for such a short trip thoughts anyone? maybe come to my truck with your empty trash bag and fill up?

I also like fire tony :)

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: The 2nd Annual Point Reyes Bay Area BPL Trip on 01/15/2010 18:48:51 MST Print View

Jesse, check you pms

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP" on 01/15/2010 21:42:41 MST Print View

How about brown paper bags?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP" on 01/16/2010 08:12:26 MST Print View

Keeping an eye on the weather and we just might hit a window on Sat-Sun. Friday should still have a alot of rain though.

9am meet time at Bear Valley Visitor Center

If you have not done this, please list your car and make and model and what trailhead you will be coming in on. Palomarin or Bear Valley. Let Ken know for the main camp site and for those on the other site, please make sure you email me please.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
weather on 01/16/2010 08:24:11 MST Print View

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/tenday/USCA0802?from=today_topnav_Ski

this was the report i looked at but i do not know how accurate it is for where we are going i just typed in olema ca and this is what it showed for a 10 day

doesn t bother me to camp in the rain but my 5 yr old son will get restless when holed up in the tent the whole trip
im considering not bringing him due to the weather he has rain gear but if we have to hunker down for an extended period he will be hating it guess i have to make that decision soon but i will get it figured out
ONE MORE WEEK GUYS IM GETTING REALLY EXCITED HOPE EVERYONE ELSE IS TOO !! see you all in another week

kevin

Edited by divr6347 on 01/16/2010 08:28:01 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"THE 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES BAY AREA BPL TRIP" on 01/16/2010 09:04:53 MST Print View

This post really stems out of my jealousy that I don't get to do a group UL trip in the beautiful Pt. Reyes area with other trail nerds...but man, hurry up and go on that trip already so we can all read the trip report and see the pics! :)

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
pt reyes on 01/17/2010 15:59:34 MST Print View

ok guys the rain just started hitting my roof about 20 minutes ago don t know if you are getting any rain up that way but it looks like the week long storm has arrived in my area lets all hope for a break in the weather for saturday night lol

kevin

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES on 01/17/2010 22:41:36 MST Print View

Good job everyone! I have heard from all that will be attending that needed to give their vehicle information for the permit. Thanks so much! Off to a great start. See everyone next weekend. Rain or shine.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: 2ND ANNUAL POINT REYES on 01/18/2010 08:27:35 MST Print View

weather report for Sat. is partly cloudy and rain coming in on Sunday evening!!