Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How does this sound for a food list?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
How does this sound for a food list? on 10/15/2009 18:54:47 MDT Print View

hey all! I am going to be doing a summit attempt of Mt. San Gorgonio, and it will be cold(ish). This is a three day trip, with the first two days with a 6059' elevation gain over 14 miles. So how does this sound?

Breakfast on drive to trailhead

1st lunch: pre-made sandwich (lots of turkey)

1st dinner: Spaghetti with meat sauce

2nd Breakfast: 2 packets of oatmeal and an apple

2nd Lunch: Triscits w/ PB and a snickers

2nd dinner (water becomes a problem): All american burger wrap from Pack-it Gourmet. Mashed potatoes

3rd Breakfast: 2 packets of oatmeal

3rd lunch: leftover snacks

Snacks: 1 more snickers, 2 cups of trail mix, 2 cliff bars.

So how can I improve?

Thanks a lot guys!

-Jace

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Looks good on 10/15/2009 20:37:05 MDT Print View

The only thing about cold weather is tuck in hot drinks to make - they will help you stay hydrated but also sleep warmer at night.
Another thing, maybe bump up the snacks? I'd carry a few light treats to boost my energy if needed. I know for myself I eat more in cold weather. That is often when I am hungry for dried apricots, potato chips, chocolate.

The meals you have look very solid though!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Looks good on 10/15/2009 20:54:56 MDT Print View

I agree with Sarah: you are seriously short on hot liquids.
Instant soup is good as a start. Hot tea, coffee or cocoa is also good.

Cheers

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
How does this sound for a food list? on 10/15/2009 21:10:18 MDT Print View

I take lots of dried fruit and nuts to snack on during the day and avoid a formal "lunch." Nuts are really good--high calorie and high in fat, but with the good fats that are good for you and don't clog your arteries. I may change this next year because my-daughter-the-veterinarian recommends I feed my dog small amounts 3 times daily to avoid overloading his sensitive stomach (which forced me to abort a trip last summer). That means I'll have an hour's break at mid-day, during which I might eat more than a snack.

As Sarah says, hot beverages are great in cold weather. One caveat--at night, tea, coffee and chocolate all have diuretic qualities. I stick with herbal tea in the evening--I have to get up enough times during the night without adding anything to stimulate this process! In the morning, and say until 4 pm, this isn't an issue.

I've often found that I'm not very hungry at night. This is partly fatigue and partly because I eat enough dried fruit and nuts all day that my stomach isn't empty at dinnertime.

Note that items high in sugar, especially refined sugar and definitely candy, tend to set up a vicious cycle--you eat the sugar which quickly ups your blood sugar; then your body responds by producing more insulin which reduces your blood sugar, often to lower than it was before. I've seen a number of people "p**p out" about 30-45 minutes after eating candy as a snack. Of course doing this a lot can bring on Type 2 diabetes. I don't seem to have this problem with dried fruit, probably because it contains enough fiber to slow down the sugar absorption, as do the nuts I eat along with it. I wouldn't say avoid candy, just keep it to a small amount, preferably as dessert after a meal (the food already in your stomach helps slow the sugar absorption, too).

Some people (my 9-year-old grandson is one) tend to get the "runs" from dried fruit and nuts and so must rely more on starchy foods like crackers and pretzels for snacks.

It's also important that you like your food! When adding new dishes, be sure to cook/rehydrate a sample at home (using the same method you would out in the wilds) and do at least a taste test. While it's possible that items that taste good at home may turn your stomach after a long day of hiking, I've never found a food that I disliked at home that I wanted to eat out on the trail!

Then there was the time I dehydrated a chicken casserole containing peas, and didn't test before the backpack. I boiled and boiled the stuff for almost 20 minutes until everything else was a glutinous mess, but the peas remained the consistency of buckshot.

I've also found that it's a good idea to take at least one no-cook dinner so that if I'm too tired to fire up the stove, I can still eat.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Food list on 10/15/2009 23:10:14 MDT Print View

Thanks for the help! I forgot to put the hot liquids on the list :)... Also, do you have any examples of what a good no cook dinner would be?

Thanks for the help!

-Jace

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Food list on 10/16/2009 07:34:25 MDT Print View

I have a couple "salads" that I take at times that are no cook. Usually lentils or couscous. Even then cheese and crackers are nice. Or even hummus on tortillas. Heck, even PB & J works.....

But usually for me in cold weather what Roger mentions is very important - small soups. If I am cold, tired and not feeling hungry (but I should be!) I make up a cup of thin soup. The warm liquid, the salt, potassium, etc make you feel a lot better, quickly. It gets you hydrated and then maybe an hour later, it is "hey I feel hungry!"

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
A ditto and a no-cook meal suggestion on 10/16/2009 08:22:32 MDT Print View

First of all ditto what Sarah and Roger said. Hot drinks and soup. I know for a fact Sarah always has tea in her pack (I'm a mooch!) I used to bring packets of instant miso soup and sip on that while dinner was cooking. I need to do that again.

A hot drink with a little more fat in it (hot chocolate with coconut creme powder anyone?) will help keep you warm at night.

No cook dinner? Wraps! Hummus, black bean, cream cheese, shelf stable bacon... Lots of options! Here's one we had (for lunch, but it still works) on our last trip.

Mount Daniel Wrap
Serves 1

Flour tortilla
instant black or refried beans
1-2 taco or hot sauce packets
2 baby bell cheese wheels

At home: put the beans in a snack sized baggie. Carry everything else seperately.

In camp: add water to the bean baggie. Seal and squish. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rehydrated. Cut a corner off the bag and squish out onto a tortilla (like you are piping frosting!) Top with the hot sauce. Unwrap the cheese, cut in half and top the beans with them. Roll and eat.

Mt Daniel Wrap

Edited by dicentra on 10/16/2009 08:23:23 MDT.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

How does this sound for a food list? on 10/16/2009 17:33:29 MDT Print View

thanks! That sounds like a great idea... I may have to try that. And I will definitely add some warm drinks to the mix

Thanks guys!

-Jace

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"How does this sound for a food list?" on 10/16/2009 18:30:44 MDT Print View

Thanks for shring that awesome recipe, Dicentra! I am sure to use that next time I head out :)

cheers

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Thanks! on 10/17/2009 08:59:32 MDT Print View

I had too many beans for me, so my hiking partner put the rest on his tuna wrap. (tuna, mayo, mustard etc) Blech!! But he said it was good.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Hot Liquids on the Go - Thermos? on 10/19/2009 04:25:35 MDT Print View

Hey guys, when you suggest hot liquids (hot chocolate, tea, soup, broth, etc.), do you prepare those when you stop to take a break, or do you just fill a Thermos and go? Wondering how many lightweight backpackers include a Thermos in their gear...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Hot Liquids on the Go - Thermos? on 10/19/2009 07:27:48 MDT Print View

It depends on the trip and time of year. In summer I wouldn't but in very cold temps I at least carry a good insulated light mug for drinking out of. I have carried a bullet style Thermos for winter trips - where the insulation pays off for the weight. But only in severe cold!

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Hot Liquids on 10/19/2009 10:24:10 MDT Print View

I usually drink my hot liquids while I'm waiting for my food to rehydrate/cook. I like cup of soup or miso soup. In the winter I would also heat water later on for a strong cup of hot chocolate. In the morning I also would eat hot oatmeal and more hot chocolate. I most likely would not heat water for lunch.