Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Duo mid?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Duo mid? on 10/14/2009 11:23:24 MDT Print View

Hey all!

I am considering getting the Duo mid for my Philmont trek, and was wondering how the dou mid will do in winter. I know that there will be no snow in Philmont in the summer, but am curious. Do you do anything different in the winter that you wouldnt do in the summer? Different pitches (i guess?)?

Anything else I should know about it in the winter?

Thanks!

-CS

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
DuoMid in winter. on 10/14/2009 13:44:56 MDT Print View

The only thing I've done with the DuoMid in the winter is pitch it low to the ground to keep snow out. In very windy conditions I've buried the edges of the pyramid tarp in the snow.

Oh you have to be sure and stomp down the snow for your center trekking pole but other than that I don't do much with the DuoMid.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

DuoMid in winter on 10/15/2009 17:26:11 MDT Print View

So no real differences? What kind of groundcloth do you use? Ive heard mention of a painters dropcloth. And thanks for the tip about packing down the pole area well!

-Jace

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
Duo Mid on 10/17/2009 18:57:12 MDT Print View

I don't use a footprint unless the temps are supposed to get above freezing while I'm out. When I do use a footprint it's a pice of sillnylon with a small hole (1/4")cut in the center to allow my trekking pole to fit through.

Jay Cramin
(jcramin) - F

Locale: South
Re: Duo mid? on 10/19/2009 15:30:33 MDT Print View

We had a snowball fight when I went to Philmont in July of 1998.

J

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Duo Mid on 10/19/2009 22:16:53 MDT Print View

interesting....

I guess I should worry about snow then. I will have a WM flash jacket by then, and (maybe) a Ultralight bag, so temp wise, it shouldnt be an issue, but i guess having a semi-four season tent wouldnt hurt... especially at 15.5 oz

-Jace

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

What exactly does "moderate snow loads" mean? on 10/25/2009 09:32:47 MDT Print View

I saw on the mountain laurel designs site that the duo mid can deal with "moderate snow loading". So, how moderate is moderate?

Thanks for all the help!

-Jace

G Foster McLachlan
(hunter13) - F

Locale: NYS
snow load on 12/11/2009 15:52:41 MST Print View

Just came across this now-I asked Ron at MLD that question and I forget exactly what he said but it was something like 12-18 inches from what I remember-which sounds good to me. I was thinking moderate meant below 12 so Im good at these expectations.

Edited by hunter13 on 12/11/2009 17:44:12 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: snow load on 12/11/2009 16:57:17 MST Print View

"It might have been more bc I was thinking moderate meant below 12."

You need to consider the moisture content of the snow as well. 12" of Cascade cement is a lot heavier than 12" of Rocky Mountain powder.

G Foster McLachlan
(hunter13) - F

Locale: NYS
snow load on 12/11/2009 17:42:26 MST Print View

Good point. But im in the northeast so Im in your boat. Moisture.