Las Vegas in December (what about...)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Guy Bouchard
(gbouchar) - M
Las Vegas in December (what about...) on 10/13/2009 19:32:52 MDT Print View

Hi.

I am planning a Christmas/New year trip to Las vegas with my wife. 2 days in Vegas (sighseeing + show) then 4-5 days for hiking and maybe a bit of biking. I am thinking of Red Rock and Lake Mead. I will rent a car but will not bring camping gear since we want to fly light.

Is it possible to live a trip like this cheaply in Vegas? Cheap hotel?

Is it possible to stay outside Vegas (around Lake Mead?)?

What do you suggest for a fun Vegas outdoor trip (december 23 to january 1)?

Thanks!

James Arriola
(Ravs4fun) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Las Vegas trip on 10/15/2009 17:30:56 MDT Print View

Guy,

There are lots of great day hikes in the Red Rock area. Another great place for day hiking is Valley of Fire State Park. It's about an hour north of Las Vegas and you could easily spend a full day there.

Don't forget that Zion National Park is about 3 hours away in Southern Utah. Zion is worth a few days if you haven't been there before. Lots of great hikes there but it all depends on the weather.

Remember that the price of hotel rooms in Las Vegas almost triple around New Years. That might be the time to check out Zion. Before Christmas you are normally pretty good but as you get closer to New Years the hotel room prices keep rising.

There are camp grounds at Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and Lake Mead if you wanted to camp.

Let me know if you have any questions since I have lived in Las Vegas along time. Thanks.

James

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Las Vegas in December (what about...) on 10/17/2009 20:30:29 MDT Print View

Absolutely consider adding in some mountain biking if you're into that. So many trails around and some most excellent ones around Saint George and Zion NP. There may be snow and nice in areas you decide to play so consider that...

Otherwise, absolutely there are places to stay at Lake Mead. I'm not a fan of Mead though. Kind of a low, depressing, motorsports type of place.

LV offers great access to Death Valley as well. Something to consider.

doug meade
(dmead516) - F
Las Vegas area on 11/06/2009 17:06:21 MST Print View

Another option is to spend the day in Death Valley. You can go into the southern entrance and drive north up to the lowest point in the US, as well as the visitor center which can direct you to some cool hiking trips (try the Keane Wonder Mine). Plan it so you come out through the ghost town of Rhyolite and then back down the highway thru Mercury and to Vegas.