Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Drying in an oven
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Drying in an oven on 10/11/2009 08:15:28 MDT Print View

Hello guru Foodies,
I am in the process of learning how to improve my trail fare. I have learned to steam bake, thank to the this great forum. Now I need to learn how to dehydrate some shredded meat, mainly chicken & beef, in my oven. I do not have a drying machine currently. Thanks in advance!
Regards,
John

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
oven drying on 10/11/2009 15:40:36 MDT Print View

John,

You can use your oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (not waxed paper) and spread the shredded meat on it. Set the oven to 170°F or lower and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon. You'll have to watch the food carefully (check it frequently) until you get an idea of how long your oven will take to dry it. Every oven is slightly different and drying times will vary depending on that and factors like the size of the food and the humidity of your kitchen.

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: oven drying on 10/11/2009 18:27:43 MDT Print View

Laurie Ann,
Thanks for the advise. It worked like a champ. I think I left it in a tough too long, as it rehydrated with a bit of a chewy texture to it. I do like the taste, and the texture does add a bit of excitement to my normal rice & pasta.
Regards,
John

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
drying in an oven - rehydrating on 10/12/2009 13:10:57 MDT Print View

John... read my comments in this thread for advice on rehydrating difficult ingredients like chicken...

Chicken and beef rehydration

edited to properly format URL

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 10/12/2009 13:12:13 MDT.