UST Wetfire Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
(Trooper) - F
UST Wetfire Stove on 10/09/2009 16:43:51 MDT Print View

I saw that UST is making a stove that is designed for use with their Wetfire which is only 0.46 ounces and compact. I'm assuming it is new because there isn't much information about it, other than one member has made a video. Here is the UST product info:

UST Wetfire Stove

So what are your impressions for a solo setup? Would it be just as easy to support a mug on top of some stones? Is this an example of diminishing returns for that thread?

Edited by Trooper on 10/09/2009 16:47:07 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: UST Wetfire Stove on 10/09/2009 17:16:34 MDT Print View

That's the Esbit stove sold here.

It's made by Tibetan. I own one and it works great with a mug. Yes, stones would work but be sure to put foil underneath to keep residue from the ground (albeit minimal).

Great product.

(Trooper) - F
BL Esbit Stove...but slightly lighter on 10/09/2009 17:35:20 MDT Print View

You are correct, Sir. However, the BPL version seems to be a bit lighter.

BPL Titanium Esbit Stove

Edited by Trooper on 10/09/2009 17:36:18 MDT.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: BL Esbit Stove...but slightly lighter on 10/09/2009 18:09:47 MDT Print View

I like it so far, currently testing it; some links for you, any questions feel free to ask.

UST Wetfire tinder

Field use

I have used it with both an MSR Pot (0.8L) and it works fine, quite stable, I would say more so that ontop of a MSR PR and with a Heinekein Pot, also very stable.
Heinekein

MSR

Edited by markmclauchlin on 10/09/2009 18:13:45 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
wetfire on 10/09/2009 18:27:31 MDT Print View

I think it's the same stove- I just purchased one http://www.basegear.com/ultimate-survival-wetfire-stove.html and the weight on my scale is 12 grams

the reviews I've seen on this stove have been w/ the wetfire tinder cubes- I purchased esbit ones for mine- the wetfire ones light easy, but are small and don't burn as long

everything I've read on this stove and the bpl one is a windscreen is mandatory- I'm going to build a small one that nests in my SP 600 mug

(Trooper) - F
UST Wetfire Stove/BL Esbit Stove on 10/09/2009 18:28:37 MDT Print View

Mark,

Thanks for chiming in. You are the BPL member who I was referring to in my original post. Also, thanks for making the video. Other than your reviews, this product doesn't seem to have received much attention.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: UST Wetfire Stove/BL Esbit Stove on 10/09/2009 18:36:07 MDT Print View

Hi A S,

The videos were/are my first attempt, ever, so hopefully they will improve but should give you an idea as to how easily the tinder lights, however as mentioned they don’t burn too long which is not a problem if you have a windshield.

I am happy with the stability, works really well. As you can see from the second video and perhaps the images.

Like most others I don't like the soot that builds up with Esbit type fuel but for the weight advantage it's definitely not a real big issue.

I must get the BPL one to compare, perhaps that’s next on the shopping list.

Cheers
Mark

(Trooper) - F
Re: wetfire on 10/09/2009 18:41:54 MDT Print View

Mike,

Mark's video doesn't have a windscreen, and the flame clearly ambles like a drunk, reducing its efficiency. I'm thinking I would make a windscreen with some foil, as I always carry a small amount in my survival kit.

Edited by Trooper on 10/13/2009 18:26:01 MDT.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: wetfire on 10/09/2009 18:52:38 MDT Print View

I generally use an aluminium windscreen, this was a test to see how it would work without.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Stove FAULT on 10/09/2009 22:33:11 MDT Print View

If the WETFIRE is anything like BPL's similar Ti stove you'll need to replace the flimsy center rivet with a small bolt, lockwasher and nut, as several of us who bought the BPL stove have done.

I got my tiny bolt, washer & nut at Lowe's.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Stove FAULT on 10/09/2009 23:00:54 MDT Print View

Thanks Eric, I will keep an eye out for that issue.

Cheers,
Mark

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Interesting. on 10/12/2009 23:39:37 MDT Print View

Very interesting. One of the things I don't like about Esbit is that it's hard to light -- particularly in the wind. The wet fire would be much easier to light.

Any idea of how many calories per gram there are in Wetfire vs. Esbit? Something tells me (just a hunch) that Esbit is going to have more heat per gram. It also seems that the Wetfire (just an impression based on the video) burns less efficiently than Esbit. Very yellow flame.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Interesting. on 10/12/2009 23:56:31 MDT Print View

Hi Jim,

No idea on the calories per gram,

The Wetfire lights extremely well, you are correct with the yellow flame.

Perhaps I should light the esbit and Wetfire in in the same video to give an idea?

Cheers
Mark

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

esbit vs wetfire on 10/13/2009 18:22:01 MDT Print View

that would be an interesting comparo- I think most of the short comings the early reviews (mostly related to not getting to a full boil) point to are fuel related (and probably to some extent wind screen)

also need to figure in the size of the cube and the price

esbit tabs are ~ $1.00/oz ($5-6 for twelve 0.5 oz cubes, the wetfire tinders are ~ $5/oz ($7 for eight 0.2 oz cubes)

(Trooper) - F
Re: Re: Interesting. on 10/13/2009 18:25:25 MDT Print View

I'd love to see the Wetfire/Esbit comparison.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Interesting. on 10/13/2009 19:57:42 MDT Print View

Alrightly then, sounds like a job for tonight :)

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting. on 10/14/2009 16:12:57 MDT Print View

Perhaps I should light the esbit and Wetfire in in the same video to give an idea?
I guarantee I'll watch!

esbit tabs are ~ $1.00/oz ($5-6 for twelve 0.5 oz cubes, the wetfire tinders are ~ $5/oz ($7 for eight 0.2 oz cubes)
Yipes! That's rather sobering. Think I'll stick with Esbit even though it's sometimes tough to light. Of course squirting a little alcohol on them helps, but then you lose some of the weight advantage of Esbit.

I hear partially breaking up the Esbit makes it easier to light. Anyone got experience with that? Any other good lighting techniques?

Having had a couple of winter bad experiences (really tough time getting it lit), I've basically abandoned Esbit, but everyone talks so much about it here as being a) workable and b) the most lightweight that maybe I should give it a second look.

Edited by hikin_jim on 10/14/2009 16:14:49 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

lighting esbit on 10/14/2009 17:39:10 MDT Print View

I've also heard a little alcohol, but agree another thing to carry

I've read good reports on the burning of hand sanitizer- maybe a dual purpose item?

I'm going to try a birthday candle-stays lit pretty well, extends your reach a little and can be re-used

maybe pack one wetfire tinder and shave off a small chunck w/ each esbit light?

(Trooper) - F
Adding Wood? on 10/14/2009 18:10:12 MDT Print View

If we are adding alcohol, why not add some kindling from the environment? I just ordered the Vargo Triad with the intention of using it with alcohol, but Wetfire or wood in a pinch. Am I the only person who wants to adapt these high-speed fuel stoves back to wood?

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting. on 10/14/2009 18:16:54 MDT Print View

> Think I'll stick with Esbit even though it's sometimes tough to light.

I also found esbits slower to start than most other systems though I never was unable to get one going with a match (or two) or using a lighter. That said, think if I had to keep my mini bic lighter going for a second or two more my thumb would have gotten burned. I couldn't get one lit without help using firesteel, UST Sparkie, or a spark-lite which have been enough to light every other system I have used. While not as cool as the wetfire tinders, I found a little bit of dryer lint placed next to and under the edge of the esbits allowed me to get it started using firesteel or the sparkie.

> maybe I should give it a second look.

I have certainly had bad experiences in the past as well. I couldn't understand why people loved the stinky, underpowered system which left oily crud on the bottom of the pot. I am giving them another try largely because a number of people I respect like GVP love them so. This time around I tried several things in the backyard until I was sure I could actually make them work there. Now I have used them a couple of times in the field. I am not sure if I am going to make the switch long term, but I will give it a couple of seasons and then decide.

I found that the caldera cone system addressed performance issues. [I hear tell the various bearcan systems work equally well]. I have gotten over the lighting issue cause I figure that most other systems I have used required some help: priming (white gas, some alcohol), keeping fuel warm in cold conditions (alcohol & upright canister). A few extra seconds with the bic or some lint doesn't seem some bad. I noted similar trade offs with the cleaning the pot.

--Mark

Edited by verber on 10/14/2009 18:29:47 MDT.