JMT food postmortem
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nancy Kim
(scribblernancy) - F
JMT food postmortem on 10/08/2009 18:07:02 MDT Print View

I just returned from a JMT thru-hike and must give this forum's contributors thanks for all the ideas/recipes/helpful tips regarding food. Thanks in particular to Sarah whose trailcooking.com website proved invaluable. I used several recipes from Sarah's site. The pecan chicken salad for lunch was fantastic and a nice break from peanutbutter.

With the help of the online community, I was able to make all my own food for the trip. I made some complete meals in a dehydrator, such as Spaghetti Bolognese and Chicken Curry, while others were concocted from instant mixes and pasta, rice or quinoa I dehydrated.

I caught plenty of trout with my fly rod so the fish frys were fabulous. I seasoned the fish with olive oil (in packets), garlic, salt, and wrapped them in foil and cooked them under hot coals for 10 minutes. After cooking and deboning the fish, I added parmesan and True Lemon...divine!

Other thoughts: Nestle Nido is great. Starbucks Via is overpriced. The cheeseburger and fries at the Whitney Portal store might as well have been Julia Childs' Beef Bourgignon.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: JMT food postmortem on 10/08/2009 18:45:13 MDT Print View

Sounds like you had a great time. The fish sounds wonderful. Nothing better than fresh fish.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: JMT food postmortem on 10/08/2009 20:42:47 MDT Print View

Nancy, awesome to hear you had a good trip :-)

There is something to be said about a burger after, eh? Greasy and good!