Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1
Display Avatars Sort By:
>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1 on 10/07/2009 21:53:33 MDT Print View

I have been toying with the idea of making an inflatable pillow and possibly a sleeping pad. This is the very first creation. As you can see where I inflated the pillow it has been sealed. I didn't use a valve since this was just a test. I wanted to see how durable the material was and how the seams hold up. A 72x20x2.5" pad made of this would weigh 11oz with the valve.

15gPillow

Here are some numbers.
Weight: 15.3g
Size: 12x6
Material: special coated ripstop nylon

For testing I have been sitting on the pillow for quite some time with no signs of trouble. I tried the bic pen test with some scraps and it is reasonably durable for its weight. Of course I was able to puncture it but it took a decent amount of force.

Edited by Bender on 10/07/2009 21:54:09 MDT.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Re: MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1 on 10/08/2009 01:21:15 MDT Print View

Nice work. Is that 30D heat sealable nylon? Sounds like a winner. I've been toying with the idea of making a DAM out of it, but I can't find a valve. I dont think the thermarest valve kit comes with the male part that bonds to the fabric, but I may be wrong. Any ideas on a valve?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1 on 10/08/2009 06:08:10 MDT Print View

Nice work...I actually just added a "UL Pillow" to my list of things to make. I picked up one of the thermarest valves and am going to see if I can make a small plastic piece to aid in mounting it to the pillow.

How did you end up sealing the sides of your pillow? Is it permanently sealed then?

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
It has been heat sealed on 10/08/2009 10:00:38 MDT Print View

The material is 30d heat sealable nylon so I used an iron to seal the sides. Getting just the right temp on the iron was a bit tricky. Something like a MonoKote iron would probably be better. I actually have a replacement valve but I will need to figure a way to adapt it to fit. The pillow with a valve could easily be under an ounce.

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Re: Re: MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1 on 10/10/2009 15:35:29 MDT Print View

David the Therm-a-rest valve kit is complete, and includes a hot bonding agent. I have one in my closet.