24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin Mountains
Display Avatars Sort By:
jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
video. on 10/11/2009 19:47:05 MDT Print View

Hello

I agree excellent job. It seems in the past year or so making hard and fast plans for trips has been difficult.
The spontaneus overnighter has become very popular.I live 10 minutes from Appalachian Trail and Shenandoah River.It is easy to take for granted whats right around the corner.
One question the black jacket Ryan is wearing,Houdini or anorak? I could not tell. Just curious.

Thanks Jim

Anne Flueckiger
(annefluke)

Locale: northern Minnesota
toddler's first 24 on 10/12/2009 11:52:53 MDT Print View

a few weeks ago I did a 24 hr canoe trip with a friend and her 2 yr old. (well, that doesn't include the 2 hr drive to/from the trailhead, but it was 24 hrs from put in to take out.) we really wanted to do a trip this fall and found the one night that worked for both of us. plenty of time to find a campsite, grill a steak & drink wine, sleep long, relax over coffee, and have a relaxed full day of paddling/singing/swimming. My only regret is that we had no camera to capture the little guy toting his Tonka truck over the portages...

Edited by annefluke on 10/12/2009 11:57:36 MDT.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin Mountains" on 10/16/2009 10:35:03 MDT Print View

Thanks Ryan. It's always a big deal living in L.A. and having to drive through traffic to get out of the city. Then, once you're out of the city you have to drive a fair distance to get to any decent trails. I never considered 24 hours. Even with a couple hours of drive time that could change a lot and make it less complicated and more fun.

Anne - I wish you had pics of that too. My Tonka truck was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Edited by socalpacker on 10/16/2009 13:05:18 MDT.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
24 But So Much More! on 10/18/2009 20:45:03 MDT Print View

Hi Ryan - What an fantastic video!! Your trip may have been only 24 hours, but it was so much more.

And here I am, living in southeastern Michigan suburbia (just south of Detroit)!! The only mountains here are Mt. Elliott (which is a street) and Mt. Clemens (which is another 'burb outpost). haha But in 4 more years, I hope to remedy this situation as I will be retiring and moving West where I belong.

Your video has inspired me! It has also helped me decide on the perfect hiking dog: a Lab. Your dog Maia (I hope I spelled that right; apologies to your dog if I didn't)seems like joy packed in a furry 4-legged body. :)

Johnathan White
(johnatha1) - F

Locale: PNW
Gear Question on 12/22/2009 19:33:12 MST Print View

Hey Ryan, did you use any type of ground cloth with that setup?

Thanks!