Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Bivy Trouble

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Bivy Trouble on 10/06/2009 10:50:56 MDT Print View

I got a TiGoat bivy a long time ago and haven’t had a chance to use it until last weekend. Actually I haven’t hiked or camped in 2 years so my whole kit was brand new. I didn’t hike far because, well, all new untested gear equals potential gear failure.
I set up my TiGoat Bivy with full mesh hood under my tarp. I tied the mesh net up by the little loop that was stitched on it. I ran a line from the loop to my ridgeline. It was nice and loose; I just wanted the mesh off my face.
I tend to turn from side to side a lot when I sleep and on the first night I managed to tear that little loop right off of the mesh. Now I have a big hole in my mesh hood.
Anyone ever have this problem?
Any good ideas on fixing the hole? It’s about the size of a dime. I thought I’d just glue it or something.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Bivy Trouble on 10/06/2009 11:36:53 MDT Print View

Daniel,

I did the same thing to mine after a few nights in the bivy but, it was very easy to repair. I have now used the repaired bivy for two seasons without any problems.

I sewed a nylon loop (used for tying the bivy netting to the tarp) to a piece of 1" square gross grain nylon ribbon. I then put the loop through the hole; the gross grain ribbon was positioned inside of the net so that it overlapped the netting tear; and then glued the gross grain ribbon (McNett Seam Seal) to the net. The 1" square of gross grain distributes the stress so the netting will not tear.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
good idea on 10/06/2009 13:45:24 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip. I bet fabric glue would work just as well.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: "Bivy Trouble" on 10/22/2009 07:29:31 MDT Print View

Not sure about fixing it, but a good way to help prevent this in the future is to use elasticized cord rather than static cord for the connection between your ridgeline and bivy.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Bivy Trouble on 10/22/2009 07:49:13 MDT Print View

This is kind of funny, since I did the exact same thing to my TiGoat bivy last weekend. I emailed them, and they're sending me a repair patch to sew on, although the 1" square glued on sounds good.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Bivy Trouble on 12/11/2009 10:26:59 MST Print View

Okay, don't laugh, but Mighty Mend It works great! I've been using that stuff for all kinds of projects for about a year and a half now. It's not right for everything, but try it. If it doesn't work I promise you you'll find all kinds things it's great for.

Ethan Kunard
(ekunard) - F
Duct tape it my friend on 12/12/2009 18:33:35 MST Print View

I did that very thing to my Ti-Goat bivy on my first night on the Colorado Trail. Luckily I had a bit of duct tape, expecting for it to hold only a limited time. Truth be told, it held for my next 25 days on the CT and is still holding true today. Who says duct tape can't be a permanent fix anyway?

Edited by ekunard on 12/12/2009 18:34:36 MST.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "Bivy Trouble" on 12/13/2009 20:29:34 MST Print View

Wow! Duct tape is awesome.

Edited by socalpacker on 12/20/2009 01:55:38 MST.