Forum Index » Gear Deals » 20% at REI

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
20% off at REI on 10/05/2009 17:26:49 MDT Print View

The Bi-Annual 20% off member sale starts on 10/9/09. I already know what I am getting, do you? =o)

Edited by MichaelRedbeard on 10/05/2009 17:27:21 MDT.

Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
What? on 10/06/2009 20:52:57 MDT Print View

What do you plan to get? A 20% discount isn't enough to get me to jump on anything anymore. What about the rest of you?

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: What? on 10/07/2009 01:06:46 MDT Print View

maybe a spork

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
20% off at REI on 10/07/2009 07:26:33 MDT Print View

After taxes it only comes out to be about a 10% discount for me. Too bad REI has to put so many stores in so many states.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
20% at REI on 10/07/2009 08:20:27 MDT Print View

I agree with Aaron. After I pay taxes, shipping, and put up with the super slow shipping, I'm better off buying somewhere else. And they just don't sell much I use any more.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
REI on 10/07/2009 08:52:51 MDT Print View

Yeah, I can usually get something delivered cheaper from somewhere else even after giving REI a 20% discount "Handicap" during the 20% sale.

I was actually at the REI store last time they had the 20% off sale going on getting a can of stove fuel - The lady in front of me was buying a $350 TNF jacket and even though the sales person was pleading with them to sign up for a membership ($20) so they could get 20% ($70) off the jacket they declined and paid full price. ??

That made me realize I don't think I am included in REI's main target market and the sales probably aren't targeted at people like me. :) (Even though they send me way too much stuff in the mail!)

Edited by Cloudveil9 on 10/07/2009 09:03:23 MDT.

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
What If You Could... on 10/07/2009 09:50:06 MDT Print View

Get 30% off and not have to pay taxes? Then would it be worth it?

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
REI on 10/07/2009 10:05:15 MDT Print View

I don't know, sounds like a good deal, depends on the item!

Acronym Esq
(acronym.esq) - F

Locale: TX
Re: REI on 10/07/2009 13:45:34 MDT Print View

>Yeah, I can usually get something delivered cheaper from
>somewhere else even after giving REI a 20% discount
>"Handicap" during the 20% sale.

I give REI big points on their service. There is a brick store near me, so free shipping and easy returns. I like their return policy. I like their website and the user reviews. Their granola eating hippie staff has had extreme patience with me trying it on, playing with it, and weighing it even if I never buy it.

I'm looking forward to the sale. I'm going to swap out a sleeping bag I got last year for a warmer/lighter one. I bought it a year ago. I cut the tags off. I cut the sleeping mat straps off. I don't have my receipt. REI is still happy to swap with me.

I agree that their prices are high. I look for their sales and coupons, so I can get that same service for a little less.

A scout is Thrifty, not cheap.
acronym 10/7/2009 2:44 PM

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: REI on 10/07/2009 14:21:20 MDT Print View

You're swapping out a sleeping bag you used for a year and significantly altered to get a newer better one? Cool, I guess. Way to abuse the return policy.

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
>:o[ on 10/07/2009 15:59:40 MDT Print View

Yea what a cheap...if I go any further with this, the staff on here will remove me comment but we all know where I was going with this. Seriously, people like you ruin the return policy that is offered to the rest of us. REI will eventually put a ban on their 100% satisfaction motto, after you go ahead and exchange a dozen or so sleeping bags out which will end up costing them $2500. Way to screw over the system bozo!

Tim Testa
(MichaelRedbeard) - F
P.S. on 10/07/2009 16:02:02 MDT Print View

If you could only hear what those "...granola eating hippies..." had to say behind you back. Ha!

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
re: REI Return Abuser or Troll? on 10/07/2009 16:11:48 MDT Print View

LOL, only in America could this guy be for real.

Seth Tanner
(sethtan) - F
oo on 10/07/2009 16:14:59 MDT Print View

oo

Edited by sethtan on 04/06/2012 20:17:05 MDT.

Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
They really do stand behind their products.. on 10/07/2009 16:24:58 MDT Print View

I returned an REI Roadster tent after using it for a year. It was a pathetic tent and I really only expected to get some credit for it since it was used for a year. No, they gave me store credit for the full purchase price. Of course, I turned around and purchased a Big Agnes SL1 with the store credit. I don't think they actually lose money on returns though since they are not actually giving you dollar for dollar back.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"20% at REI" on 10/07/2009 16:33:14 MDT Print View

Having a lot of small-store retail experience, my hunch is they just take the value of the returned item from "Company X" off of "Company X's" next invoice.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me. What is "Company X" going to do about it?

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
re: A Year to Make up Your Mind? on 10/07/2009 16:33:44 MDT Print View

I understand warranties and customer satisfaction, but does it really take someone a year to decide they don't like something?

So by these standards, I should be able to buy a new coffeemaker, use it for a year until it's basically worn out, and just return it to the department store to trade for a new one?

I don't buy stuff from REI anyway, unless it's the steeply discounted sales.

A. B.
(tomswifty)
re on 10/07/2009 16:48:10 MDT Print View

The discount is really only 10-12% since the item you purchase does not count towards your dividend.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Return of the REI Flame War on 10/07/2009 17:10:51 MDT Print View

Here's how it goes down:

P1: I returned an item that I had altered and abused for 20 years and they still gave me store credit. I love REI.

P2: Don't you have any shame?

P1: Why should I be ashamed; it's their policy and they're still making money off it somehow. If not, they can change it!

P3: But your actions raise the prices for everyone else because we're subsidizing your returned items!

P1: You don't know that! And besides, REI is a huge corporation. A few small losses for the thousands I've given them over the years is no biggie!

P4: It is NOT a corporation! It's a co-op, run by its members! And you are taking advantage of it.

P5: It isn't a co-op by the legal definition! That's just a marketing gimmick.

P4: Not true. The members vote for representation on the board! Boo-yah.

P6: Who shops at REI anyway? They have absolutely ZERO UL gear. REI sucks.

P2: Well maybe they WOULD carry UL gear if people like P1 didn't return their items all the time. But with people like him abusing the system, they'll never carry cuben fiber umbrellas!

---There you go. No need to continue down this path.--

Edited by Rezniem on 10/07/2009 19:31:38 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Retrurn of the REI Flame War on 10/07/2009 17:44:07 MDT Print View

Nate, You are taking away all their fun. What if REI sold guns?