Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Juan De Fuca Gear List
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Juan De Fuca Gear List on 10/01/2009 22:28:49 MDT Print View

Here are my current gear lists for my wife and I for the Juan De Fuca trail, which we are doing in mid-October. I'd like to get feedback on areas like if we'll be warm enough and where we can save weight.

This trail is 47kms (30 miles) on Vancouver Island, right below the West Coast Trail. We are doing the trail in 5 days (4 nights) so the pace is a casual 6 miles per day which is what I want so my wife has a good time.

The tarp on my wife's gearlist is so that we can have a spot to hang out if it's pouring rain all evening. If the forecast is looking good then we'll leave it behind.

Dan JDF Gearlist

Tara JDF Gearlist

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Juan De Fuca Gear List on 10/01/2009 23:04:55 MDT Print View

I did the WCT last May - love the area.

For temps in October on the Island I might look at adding a warm, possibly insulated beanie (i.e. ID Primaloft or something similar) for both hanging around camp and sleeping with the quilt. Otherwise I think you have it covered on the warmth.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Juan De Fuca Gear List on 10/02/2009 00:19:56 MDT Print View

>>The tarp on my wife's gearlist is so that we can have a spot to hang out if it's pouring rain all evening. If the forecast is looking good then we'll leave it behind.<<

Come on Dan, you're in the Pacific North West now! If the weather looks good, check back in a few hours and see what the new forecast is like.

I agree with David, I wouldn't go without a warm cap. The wind and fog can make you really cold and night time temps can drop at that time of year.

Edited by skopeo on 10/02/2009 00:20:47 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Juan De Fuca Gear List on 10/02/2009 00:33:18 MDT Print View

Dan -

I'd also recommend adding a foam seat pad (closed cell foam). It will only add 2 oz. and if it been raining you'll be glad to have it. Sitting in cold wet sand or on wet logs is not pleasant (and wet sand will stick). I use a Thermarest Z-Seat but any small chunk of waterproof foam will work.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Pad on 10/02/2009 00:42:09 MDT Print View

Good suggestion regarding the foam pad. I will use the foam back pad out of my Jam pack for this purpose. I was going to leave this behind, but now that it has another use as well it makes more sense to bring it. Guess I'll have to increase the weight of my Jam from 655g to 685g.

I'll add two beanies for us. I kinda thought the hood of the Montbell parka would be enough, but I guess heads are really important to keep warm.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Juan De Fuca Gear List on 10/02/2009 02:51:15 MDT Print View

HI Dan, Nicely thought out list. I walked the Juan de Fuca in August, but I had very hot, sunny California conditions, so my experience is quite different from what everyone warned me about. I still wonder how my own gear list would have fared if the rains really had come.

I would think the Mont Bell hoods would work fine, as long as you had some kind of wind blocking layer over or under them. SInce you're not carrying a windjacket and your rain layer might very well be wet, probably the beanies are a good idea. You want to have something warm and dry in the quilt. I guess you don't want to bring a hat or light gloves of some kind?

Edited by butuki on 10/02/2009 02:53:34 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Gloves on 10/03/2009 13:36:59 MDT Print View

I do have some wool gloves listed in my gear list which double as a way to hold my pot. My wife does not though....I should probably add some.