November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Vodka Bottle Tea Light
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Adamczyk
(shootera3) - F
Vodka Bottle Tea Light on 09/30/2009 19:05:47 MDT Print View

I tried something different. During a visit to local liquor store I spotted a sample aluminum bottle of Vodka. It only holds about 3-4 oz,s. I cut the bottom off with a tubing cutter and had a cup 1in high x 1-1/4in wide. It held 1-oz. of alcohol. The tubing cutter made the top turn in slightly causing the flame to be more centered. 1-oz alcohol brought 2-cups of room temp. water to boil.set up with windscreen.another viewThe bloom.Burner in 1/4 in mesh pot holder

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Vodka Bottle Stove on 09/30/2009 21:17:34 MDT Print View

Cool idea. Those travel-sized mousse bottles also work well for this.

Stephen Adamczyk
(shootera3) - F
tea light on 10/01/2009 07:28:58 MDT Print View

Jason, I attached the burner to base as you did on one of your u-tube instructions. Thanks, Steve.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Cool stove! on 10/01/2009 18:37:16 MDT Print View

Cool stove. What's the total weight of the stove (hardware cloth + base + burner)? What's inside the burner? Fiberglass insulation used as a wick topped with a wire grid?

I don't suppose you have step by step instructions posted anywhere? :)

Or a link to a Jason Klass video that closely resembles this stove?

Lastly, what did you do about the sharp edges where you cut the aluminum bottle?

Stephen Adamczyk
(shootera3) - F
vodka tealight on 10/02/2009 10:22:15 MDT Print View

I used fiberglass insulation and fiberglass screening to hold everything together.. After using tube cutter, the edges were fairly smooth, a little sand paper cleaned it up fine

Stephen Adamczyk
(shootera3) - F
tea light on 10/02/2009 10:31:52 MDT Print View

Here is Jasonklass link.