Sealing a tent?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Black
(thehikingdude) - F
Sealing a tent? on 03/07/2006 14:37:47 MST Print View

I just got my Tarptent Rainbow. Any suggestions or gotcha's I need to be aware of before I start the process of seam sealing?

Thanks, Jeff

Elliot Lockwood
(elockwood) - F
Re: Sealing a tent? on 03/07/2006 16:12:40 MST Print View

Jeff,
A small thing to note that I ran into with the Rainbow, is that the cross strut at the top is sheathed in non-siliconized nylon. I found that this collected water and if rained on enough, easily seeps thru and readily drips down inside the tent.

I am not sure if this is the best method to fix this, but I just ran a layer of seam sealer all accross that material on the inside. Now my Rainbow can withstand my testing of blasting it with the garden hose without a drop getting through.

Jeff Black
(thehikingdude) - F
How cold is too cold to seal a tent? on 03/18/2006 14:46:06 MST Print View

I'm going backpacking in a week with a new Tarptent Rainbow and have not sealed it yet. It's a sure thing that it will rain. According to my sealant it needs to be 60F or above to use it. The odds of that this time of year is slim to none. Any advice?

Has anybody tried a Rainbow in the rain before sealing, if so how did it do?

Thanks!!!!

jeff

Peter McDonough
(crazypete) - F

Locale: Above the Divided Line
Re: How cold is too cold to seal a tent? on 03/18/2006 16:42:23 MST Print View

Seal it inside or within your garage, then after about an hour, take it outside so the fumes aren't too bad. :)

Jeff Black
(thehikingdude) - F
Sounds good on 03/18/2006 22:30:57 MST Print View

I may give that a try. Worse case scenario I will just bring my sealed BD Lighthouse. Waking up to a wet bag just doesn't do it for me.

-jeff