Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Consumables?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Clarke
(Calapidder) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Consumables? on 09/30/2009 12:10:34 MDT Print View

I know when making a gear list, the weight includes everything you are carrying less consumables (water, food, fuel). Does this include other consumable items, mainly TP, aqua-mira, and tylenol? Or am I being too geeky?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Consumables? on 09/30/2009 12:25:26 MDT Print View

IMHO, how you the split hairs is not as important as getting them identified, and weighed. I can always "adjust" to your categories - or rearrange them to match my standard template.

But I feel strongly about a "Full Skin Out" total. That is the telling number, regardless of how you get there.

Edited by greg23 on 09/30/2009 15:09:38 MDT.

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
Re: Consumables? on 09/30/2009 12:39:41 MDT Print View

Pete:
I'd include acqumira, tylenol & other meds in my FAK, or as a separate meds item, don't use TP so not relevant for me, but... food, fuel & water is a variable versus part of your static base weight, so it is hard to include in a base gear list.

I would probably allow 1.5lbs per person per day for food, plus up to 2 lbs for water and fuel combined, as a PLANNING assumption... therefore my skin out weight for an N day trip would be: 7.5lbs [base] + 2lbs [water] + (N x 1.5lbs [food])... so a 5 day trip would be 7.5+2+(5x1.5)=17lbs. Make sense?

Peace, James.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
My thoughts on 09/30/2009 15:00:50 MDT Print View

Not that it really matters as long as everything is accounted for in your skin out weight, but I would classify something as 'comsumables' if you are likey to consume it, not just if it can be consumed.

Things like band-aids, bear spray, medicines, ointments etc are not likely to be consumed so I would include them as gear, not consumables. Stuff like bug spray, sunscreen etc is debateable but if you normally do use it up then I'd consider it as consumables.

The whole point of seperating out a 'consumables' section on your gear list is so you can see how your pack weight will change as the trip progresses. This is valuable if it is a significant amount of weight, like food, but not really important if it's something like 0.1oz of bendadryl.

Pete Clarke
(Calapidder) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
I'm a gram weenie on 10/01/2009 13:04:42 MDT Print View

Yeah, I can see the point. I look at my pack weight as items that I use up on the trail (consumables) and items I generally won't use up on the trail (gear). The gear includes the pack, clothes, sleeping and shelter stuff, water and fuel bottles, stove, and personal items that usually won't disappear over time (band-aids, matches, tylenol, aqua-mira, etc). However, I will consider food, water, fuel, and TP as consumables. No matter what, these will get used, and their weight will vary depending on the length of time I'm going to be hiking.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Consumables? on 10/01/2009 16:46:36 MDT Print View

>> I would probably allow 1.5lbs per person per day for food,

That's only about 3000 calories, assuming the "standard UL hiking goal" of 125 cal/oz average. If that works for you, all the more power to you. But I recall seeing a calculation once that a day with an 18-mile 3000 foot elevation gain burns over 6000 calories (including basal metabolism). That strikes me as a pretty fair hike.

That is, admittedly, just "something I read somewhere once." I wouldn't even know how to BEGIN calculating it for myself.

Anyway, I try to aim for 2 lbs/day, for 4000 calories. I figure I can live with a 2000 calorie deficit. :o)

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: Consumables? on 10/01/2009 19:19:38 MDT Print View

I usually take 20-24 oz of food per day and never eat all of it. This includes 25 mile days with significant climbs. I find I don't get nearly as hungry when I hike as I do when I sit around the office all day.

I know that I'm hiking with a significant calorie deficit, but my hike are usually in the 2 to 4 day range so I dont worry much about it. Kinda glad I dont need to take that much food.

As far as my accounting sustem I use the following....

* Consumable are Food, water, alcohol (drinking or stove fuel).
* Base weight is the weight of items typically in my pack (minus consumables)
* Worn/Carried is the weight of items I wear or carry not included in base weight.

But honestly I say find your own system and run with it. Don't sweat the accounting police.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 10/01/2009 19:25:05 MDT.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
re: "Consumables?" on 10/25/2009 07:58:29 MDT Print View

I count water, fuel, aquamira, balm, deet, TP, alcohol gel, and sunscreen as consumables.

But the water bottles, fuel bottle, alosak for TP, and all the mini balm containers and dropper bottles I count in my base weight.

I did this mostly because it was easier to weigh all the various containers I use for these consumable items when they were empty. And it makes it easier to maintain my lists.

First aid and emergency fire kit always gets counted in the base weight since the items are rarely used.

Edited by JohnnyBgood4 on 10/25/2009 08:01:42 MDT.