Forum Index » GEAR » Cut the tongue out...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Clarke
(Calapidder) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Cut the tongue out... on 09/30/2009 00:54:21 MDT Print View

of my shoe? Not my motor-mouth friends, if that's what you were thinking. In "Beyond Backpacking" Ray Jardine gets poetic on his love for tongue-less shoes. However, I am a bit cautious on this. I have no problem modifying my gear, but a fancy pair of Inov-8 shoes cost a lot, and this is an irreversible operation. Any comments? Any experience with this?

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: Cut the tongue out... on 09/30/2009 07:26:12 MDT Print View

Here is a link to what I did to a pair of Trail Runners back in 2006:

Trail Runners Make-Overl

Zack Karas
(iwillchopyou@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Think it through. on 09/30/2009 19:56:48 MDT Print View

If you are someone who regularly laces their shoes up tightly, then I wouldn't do this. The foam in the tongue can protect your foot from the lace pressure.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
+1 on 09/30/2009 21:16:09 MDT Print View

FWIW, I agree with Zach

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
slitting the tongue on 09/30/2009 22:24:01 MDT Print View

But the sides of the tongue could be slit so that the shoe could accept a foot that has grown a little larger correct and open up some room? Just have a few pairs of 14s that got a little bit too small.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: slitting the tongue on 09/30/2009 22:28:25 MDT Print View

Hi Brett

Don't like your chances.

Cheers

Pete Clarke
(Calapidder) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Bad idea, then on 10/01/2009 12:56:53 MDT Print View

Well, I guess I won't do it then. Just curious what other hikers thought. I read about the modified shoes on the above link, but there wasn't really any review on how the shoes performed. I am using shock cord instead of laces, and the holes the laces go through are designed so that they wouldn't provide any discomfort to my feet. I was just trying to lighten the shoes a bit, and maybe provide some added ventilation. Then again, if it's wet or sandy, I would be concerned about keeping my feet comfy. But, the allure of lighter shoes keeps calling....