Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/01/2009 16:13:59 MDT Print View

Bob, I never thought about Marmots. Hiking up to Whitney, I've only see one Marmot above 13,000, and that was right up at the Summit. How many marmots are up above 13,000 feet? Is that Summit junction at 13,300 give or take a few feet?

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Trailhead Break-ins on 10/01/2009 16:19:28 MDT Print View

Justin, I heard an idea about a guy wanting to sit high up on a hill overlooking a trail head with a high powered rifle and a good scope waiting for the tweakers to come by and as they tried something he would shout out the tires of their car- Its just a thought but sounded like a good way to get back at them, boy would they be surprised.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Hitchsafe on 10/01/2009 16:44:03 MDT Print View

I surf a lot and most surfers just stash their keys somewhere. Naturally, knuckleheads come around and take advantage. Now, I use this:

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

I used it while my car was at the portal for 2 weeks, and I use it at the beach. I always have a spare key and it's better than a hide a key. If you have a removable trailer hitch it's a good way to go.

Doesn't do much for me if I leave my tent at a base camp though!

Edited by scottbentz on 10/01/2009 16:53:16 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/01/2009 16:57:55 MDT Print View

Roleigh:

The junction of the JMT and the Mt Whitney Trail is at 13,450 feet. Yes, marmots are common there because there are so many packs left there day after day. They just tend to stay back in the rocks until folks leave before they get into things.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Trailhead Break-ins on 10/01/2009 17:04:18 MDT Print View

Almost makes you want to get a motion sensing hunting cameras to monitor the car.
Or a paintball gun with balls filled with indelible dye like they used for the elections in Iraq. Put a nice juicy "target" car packed with luggage (all empty), hide in the bushes and ...
:)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/01/2009 17:27:54 MDT Print View

Had to laugh (sadly) about Marmots being mentioned. Seems they have had an issue the past couple years at ONP with them sneaking into engine compartments and taking cozy naps! They like to chew on wires, etc as well.

I know last year they were warning hikers at Obstruction Point TH to open and check before getting in and turning over the engine - just in case!

Michael Skwarczek
(uberkatzen) - F

Locale: Sudamerica
hitchsafe on 10/01/2009 22:42:35 MDT Print View

That has me reflecting on how many times I hide my wallet, keys, phone, and iPod sort of haphazardly in the nooks and crannies of my car and forget where I stashed them.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Re: Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/02/2009 00:40:55 MDT Print View

I life in Finland. Have absolutely no concerns leaving my gear anywhere, be it in the city, at the trailhead or on the trail. Its that safe and good here =)

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/02/2009 04:39:48 MDT Print View

I life in Finland. Have absolutely no concerns leaving my gear anywhere, be it in the city, at the trailhead or on the trail. Its that safe and good here =)

That would explain why while I was pleased to see the large use of bicycles when we visited Suomi, I saw almost no bike locks.

Three cheers for Hendrik/s countrymen!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/02/2009 10:52:11 MDT Print View

I noticed when I was doing some hiking in Japan a couple of years ago that they basically* had no bike locks. I was quite impressed.

HJ

*They had a little 2 or 3 inch metal bar attached to the forks that you could push through the spokes. That was their version of a bike lock.

Greg Foster
(thefost) - MLife
Leaving your gear at camp - theft concerns on 10/06/2009 20:01:25 MDT Print View

Thanks for the advice everyone. Had a nice trip up San Gorgonio and left the gear behind without a problem. Sounds like I might want to be a bit more careful when I do Whitney, but otherwise I don't think I'll be worrying too much anymore.