Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Optimal pot height for tea light stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Locale: Southeast
Optimal pot height for tea light stove on 09/29/2009 00:49:53 MDT Print View

What is the optimal height to have your beer can pot over the tea light stove? either from the ground or the tea light itself...

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Optimal pot height for tea light stove on 09/29/2009 03:21:22 MDT Print View

I suggested this before but never had any comments about it, so I don't know if it is correct or not...
What I do is to bring the water to boil independently (gas stove) then I move the pot over the flame and lift the pot up and down. As you do that you should see that in one particular spot (distance from the flame) the boil is more vigorous. That is how I determine the distance.
Franco

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Optimal pot height for tea light stove on 09/29/2009 06:44:50 MDT Print View

if you do that, I hope to see your results posted here. I seem to remember reading somewhere, that there's a fair amount of latitude. I'm betting the best range is from flame just touching the pot to flame just starting to go up the side of the pot.

Stephen Cohen
(esteban) - M

Locale: Southeast U.S.
optimal height for tealight on 09/29/2009 07:17:11 MDT Print View

I have not done very rigorous testing, but I use a 2 inch tall can with holes as a pot stand for my tealight with fiberglass. I get flames just barely up the sides of my pot and get a pretty quick boil. The test mentioned by Franco sounds like a pretty good idea though. May try that myself.

Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Re: optimal height for tealight on 09/29/2009 20:48:56 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. Let me know how your tests go. I have the feeling 2 inches is somewhere in the right ballpark.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Re: optimal height for tealight on 09/29/2009 21:38:21 MDT Print View

Stephan is right in my experience. 2" seems to be the optimal height.

Derek Cox
(derekcox) - F

Re: Re: Re: optimal height for tealight on 09/30/2009 16:29:34 MDT Print View

Thanks Jason