Forum Index » Multiple Use Gear » Reading glasses

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Costco readers on 08/15/2009 20:51:17 MDT Print View

the Costco readers (Desgin Optices) are very light- 0.3 oz, but their case is not- 1.2 oz

I've been looking for a light case, in the meantime I've been wrapping them w/ a small optic cleaning cloth and a rubber band 0.1 oz- handy to clean my sunglasses as well, but not overly protective- albeit they are relatively hardy glasses

Edited by mtwarden on 08/15/2009 21:02:38 MDT.

Mark Regalia
(markr) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz
My local bookstore has readers that go in wallet on 08/25/2009 17:34:17 MDT Print View

They are a single piece of plastic with a springy bridge so that they clip on to your nose. Not that badly really, just wouldn't wear them on a first date.

They are designed to fit in your wallet. I keep a pair in my compact digital camera pouch. Can't see those blasted displays w/o them. I think youngsters shouldn't be allowed to design cameras. Only old folks like me.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

walltetreaderrx on 08/30/2009 10:18:12 MDT Print View

^ looks like these might be what your talking about- look pretty light/compact

http://www.ballbeauty.com/wallet_reading_glasses.htm

Edited by mtwarden on 08/30/2009 11:27:15 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

rescue readers on 09/21/2009 17:33:44 MDT Print View

I just bought a three pack of these (e-bay w/ free shipping)

while these are NOT going to substitute my normal readers at home that have temples, these are going to work just fine for map reading, compass reading, etc in the back country

weight is only 3.5 grams, the little wallet sleeve they are stowed in is 4.0 grams

I'm going to stow mine in a small optic cloth that weighs 4.0 grams as well- can clean my sunglasses, camera w/ it as well

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Costco readers on 09/21/2009 22:57:51 MDT Print View

I bought some glasses like those for our trip in Switzerland.
They worked fine in the plane from Australia to Europe, and they worked fine the first evening in a refuge.
But they failed miserably and totally once we started walking.
Why?
Combine sweat and sunscreen with something which inherently relies on skin friction to stay on, and ... they popped straight off. Every time. My wife was greatly amused.
I resorted to cheap UL specs.

Cheers

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Costco readers on 09/22/2009 09:54:52 MDT Print View

Roger, thanks for the report- that would have been my problem after leaving my good ones home-

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
ditto, more or less on 09/23/2009 01:02:02 MDT Print View

I more or less agree on the "pinch on nose bridge" type of mini-reading glasses that can fit in a wallet. Thanks (and I do mean thanks) to the link given earlier, I also ordered something like three sets of these, and after some experimentation I think I'll be fine with these replacing my formerly "lighter than usual" reading glasses. The ones I had been carrying were in a small metal tube (smaller than normal drug store reading glasses), and are basically normal reading glasses but with less vertical glass. I would have to hold my head at just the right angle and get in the habit of keeping it there in order to read.

In that context, the pinch-on-nose-bridge type aren't necessarily a step down so much as a step sideways. More ~glass (lense anyway) to see through, but at the cost of a less comfortable way of wearing them. Since they are lighter and pack small, I think I can get used to them.

Note that I don't tend to want to use these when on the trail; it's possible that will change as my vision continues to degrade (one foot on a banana peel and the other one ...). But for now, at least, sweat isn't an issue for me, but a good thing to keep in mind.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Reading glasses on 10/30/2009 14:54:43 MDT Print View

I'll third I4U lenses (i4ulenses.com). I've used them since 2003. They are about the lightest, most compact and durable reading glasses anywhere. I attach a string and an alligator clip and just let them dangle when not in use.

Kurt Thompson
(katphood) - F

Locale: Bay Area, Calif.
Re: Reading glasses on 11/28/2009 22:32:03 MST Print View

Happened to me about age 46 or so. I have two pair of Rx glasses: one for home, one for work.

For BP, check my latest Rx, then got the closest approximation down at Longs / CVS for about $15.

They are a necessity for fishing.

John Taylor
(jtaylor) - F - M

Locale: Shenandoah
Same boat, different solution on 12/10/2009 14:48:12 MST Print View

My close up vision started to go a few years back. I got a credit car sized magnifier lense that stays in my wallet for help with the menus, quick reads when I'm out, that sort of thing. I also keep a small rectangular pocket magnifier in the car for reading maps and such. At home I'm using a pair of 1.0 readers from the drug store. Not great for prolonged periods so I plan to change those very soon.

I'm heading to the eye doc next week for an annual checkup. I plan to ask for a prescription for a pair of 1.0 readers and spend the $$ for a custom pair that work for prolonged periods. Some things about aging are great, but the eyes are just not one of them.

Nathan Stebner
(PeacePipe) - F

Locale: Northeast Ohio
Custom glasses without the cost. on 12/12/2009 07:29:52 MST Print View

John,

If your looking for a custom pair of glasses and don't want to spend the money you might consider http://www.zennioptical.com/cart/home.php, I've used them a few times and the quality is decant for the money. I think you can still get a complete pair of custom glasses for 8$ depending on materials.

All the best, Nathan Stebner

John Taylor
(jtaylor) - F - M

Locale: Shenandoah
Thanks on 12/22/2009 13:38:41 MST Print View

Thanks Nathan!

Thomas Graham
(tomasito) - F
Cheap Eyeglasses? on 12/23/2009 20:56:55 MST Print View

Wow.

Awesome to be able to get a pair or two of backup eyeglasses for cheap.

Thanks for the link.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Reading glasses on 12/23/2009 21:26:05 MST Print View

zennioptical ++

I'm Very happy with the frames and lenses I've bought from them.
Never had an issue with my prescription being off, have been able to alter orders, and they come in a light hardshell case.

Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Progressive Bi-Focals on 12/23/2009 22:26:56 MST Print View

I just got it all wrapped in one set of glasses from Costco

Progressive Lens Bi-focals (ie: no line)
Transitions - They get dark in sunlight.
Scratch proof
Anti-glare.

These really do the trick. I do have problems occasionally with the sweat issue though. I just put on a strap to keep them from falling into the dirt.

Brian Noble
(Seldom_Seen) - F

Locale: South Side of Denver
Go Custom. on 01/05/2010 08:56:48 MST Print View

This has been an increasing problem, for me, since turning 40 that I just found a solution to. I've been wearing glasses for 30+ yrs for an astigmatism, my near distance did not require correction till I approached 40. Single vision lenses or contacts were the norm until a few years ago the I started wearing Bifocals. As I aged my script kept increasing in power and I found it harder to adjust to the lenses with each increase. Add to that our recreational activities (sun screen and sweat made it impossible to keep glasses on as the thickness and weight increased) I simply gave up.

Recently my wife notice that my depth perception was getting worse and she started getting nervous when I was driving so she insisted I do something.

Not wanting to do the bifocals again, I started looking into multifocal contacts and I made an appointment to be fitted. I was disappointed to find out that multifocals wouldn't work for me (they have come a long way but aren't quite there yet, soon I hope)

So plan B. My Dr suggested, because of my history with bifocals and our activities, I try single vision contacts again with readers for near vision.

So far it has worked better than I expected. I am now farsighted and use readers only when needed. I recently ordered a set of sun glasses from The Rudy Project with interchangeable lenses, a couple of the lenses have the reading script in the bottom wih no correction in the top.

Brian Park
(brianpark) - F
Flip-Up Reading Glasses on 07/22/2011 20:08:36 MDT Print View

Hello Folks,

I'm a newbie but I wanted to share an image of something that might benefit those in need of some functional reading glasses. Please take a look.Flip Frames reading glasses

Just wanted to see if anything like this would interest you guys. Flip-Frames will be coming out early 2012. It will come in multiple powers and styles. You can even use your own prescription.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Flip-Up Reading Glasses on 07/22/2011 20:25:56 MDT Print View

Are you commercially affiliated with this company?

--B.G.--

Brian Park
(brianpark) - F
Response on 07/22/2011 20:38:00 MDT Print View

I am the inventor and creator of these glasses (Flip-Frames).

4 years was spent developing these glasses for the sole purpose of addressing similar issues addressed on this forum thread.

They are not being commercially sold at this time.

I hope there isn't an issue with the post. If so, sincerest apologizes and please take the necessary course of action.

Best,

Brian Park

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Flip-Up Reading Glasses on 07/22/2011 20:56:24 MDT Print View

Make them bifocals and photochromatic for outdoors use.