Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rum & Coke?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Rum & Coke? on 09/27/2009 22:17:00 MDT Print View

I had an idea the other day to make some lightweight booze.

One could make a rum & coke using water, 1/2 shot of 151 strength rum (ie. Bacardi 151) and a little squirt of coke syrup (the kind restaurants use). You wouldn't get the carbonation or the full rum taste since you're using 1/2 shot (or you could use a full shot of 151 and just have a 2x as strong drink). You would get quite a light drink though and you would also be getting a big dose of calories with that coke syrup.

Hmm....I wonder about just chugging coke syrup. I bet that's a super light way to get calories....it would probably kill you too though.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Syrup on 09/27/2009 22:19:39 MDT Print View

I'm going to grab some coke syrup from the bar I work at so I can see what it's like to make non-carbonated coke. I bet you don't need much syrup. This stuff is probably 1000 calories per oz.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Dehydrated wine on 09/27/2009 22:32:10 MDT Print View

Dan,

I'm more of a red wine drinker....how about dehydrated red wine?

John

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Rum & Coke? on 09/27/2009 22:54:35 MDT Print View

Use an Alka-seltzer to get bubbles!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Re: Dehydrated wine on 09/27/2009 23:01:04 MDT Print View

I love the idea of dehydrated red wine, but supposedly that stuff tastes gross. It amazes me that you can get 6% alcohol from a powder though...that just blows my mine. Imagine if they could make dehydrated pure alcohol...just add water and then fire up your stove :)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
wine on 09/28/2009 07:41:55 MDT Print View

It's not lightweight or even remotely close to it... but here in Canada you can now buy some very nice wines in Tetra packs. I'm notorious for sneaking one of these into Bryan's backpack (good thing he doesn't read BPL, eh?). I carry my own "glass" though...

wine on a wilderness lake

My wineglass on a wilderness lake in the heart of Algonquin Provincial Park.

edited to add a photo...

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 09/28/2009 07:43:56 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Rum & Coke? on 09/28/2009 07:50:27 MDT Print View

Back when I drank booze we'd do vodka and Crystal Light ;-) But...ya can get Coke in mini cans, 8 ounces? That would work!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

8oz on 09/28/2009 15:33:02 MDT Print View

An 8oz can of Coke is a lot of weight considering the syrup to make this is probably 0.5oz. Hopefully I can get some coke syrup from work soon. I just need to wait until the 20 liter bag of syrup is almost empty so I'm only taking a little bit.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Rum & Coke? on 09/28/2009 15:38:37 MDT Print View

Packit Gourmet offers several dehydrated mixers. Just add alcohol and water. The Moonshine Margarita was quite delicious.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: 8oz on 09/28/2009 15:57:04 MDT Print View

True but i can tell you that the can will taste waaayyyy better than the syrup ;-)

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

PackitGourmet on 09/28/2009 17:30:04 MDT Print View

Wow PackItCourment has some good looking meals...

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
rumcoke. on 09/28/2009 17:38:10 MDT Print View

i don't know how well your plan will work out, but i just wanted to say that one stiff, tall rum&coke with snow would be a great drink to have at the end of a long day in the mountains.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
another combination on 09/28/2009 18:56:31 MDT Print View

There was quite a group in the Sierras in the 70s that carried cherries soaked for a couple of weeks in 100 proof vodka.
Anytime you mix sweet carbs, alcohol, and elevation things go boom. I watched one of the eras better climbers tumble and fall his way down Milly's Foot Pass.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: PackitGourmet on 09/28/2009 21:11:57 MDT Print View

Dan, they are ;-) very, very tasty!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Packit Gourmet on 09/28/2009 22:53:14 MDT Print View

I might try them for some meals on my next trip. I'm going on a 6 day hike in about 3 weeks, but I live in Canada and sometimes stuff takes that long (or longer) to get here, so I don't want to risk it for this trip.

dan willhite
(yutahay) - F

Locale: Southwest USA
Pure "Classic" Cola Concentrate on 11/10/2009 16:55:51 MST Print View

The Heritage store at Caycecures.com has sold this product for 30 years as an intestinal aid. Good for nausea and could be used for the "cuba libre" if you remember to take a lime.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Rum & Coke? on 11/10/2009 17:05:17 MST Print View

Scotch. Single Malt. In a Snow Peak titanium flask. Just add mellow.....

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Re: Rum & Coke? on 11/10/2009 20:10:27 MST Print View

The poster above is nuts!
REI Ti mugs work just as well, just make sure you've got plenty of mellow... and cosmic wimpout! ;)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Rum & Coke? on 11/10/2009 20:19:31 MST Print View

"REI Ti mugs work just as well"

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse .....

Ah, you youngsters. The flask is for carrying the scotch, not for drinking out of! I have a separate Ti 'scotch glass' for that! ;-)

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Coke Syrup on 11/10/2009 23:02:53 MST Print View

I ended up bringing some Coke syrup home to make some 'Coke'. It took more syrup than I thought to make enough for a Rum & Coke. Probably about 2/3 of an fluid ounce for 1 cup of coke. It also tasted pretty lackluster....totally flat was worse that I was picturing. I think I'd rather just drink the Rum. 151 Rum is my beverage of choice since it's strong for the weight and can double as stove fuel in a pinch.