Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hiking Clothes For FATTIES?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 20:38:24 MDT Print View

Where can i find bigger hiking clothes? REI seems to be the only place that carries bigger than XXL. I have a big belly but the hardest thing for me to fit are my massive legs. I get them in XXL ok, but my thighs are so big that the pants bind under anything other than a standard stride. I have been using REI Sahras in 4XL. they are way too big in the waist but perfect in the thighs. I wear a 42 pant normally but find hiking gear to have a trimmer cut in the thigh region. Any ideas on other (lighter) options?

Don't tell me to lose weight, i have no desire to do so. Just looking for some new pants.

-Tim

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 20:43:31 MDT Print View

Tim,

You like making your own gear right? Have you thought about making your own clothes?

I've just started learning how to sew...but sewing my own clothes is one thing I want to try.

John

Jason Smith
(JasonS) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Larger sizes on 09/27/2009 20:44:00 MDT Print View

LLBean sizes run larger than ems and probably rei.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Hiking Clothes for Fatties!!!! on 09/27/2009 20:50:17 MDT Print View

Check out Patagonia....I have gotten alot of XXL stuff from them over the years and it is Bomb Proof, High End, Quality stuff!!!!!

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 20:53:27 MDT Print View

Yeah,

I could make my own pants, but i have no time. I don't even have time for making my own gear. I work, then i sew for my side business, then i remodel my house, notice not even time for sleeping.

I have a pattern for zip off pants and plan to make some hiking pants from momentum 90 to see how that works. I think it won't breathe enough and i want some other ones for the time being. I have a bunch of suplex that i plan to make pants with, i just want some others until i get the chance.

-Tim

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 21:08:08 MDT Print View

Cabelas, LLBean....you almost have to buy online though.

It gets really hard though if you have to buy Tall as well!

Donna Chester
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 21:08:12 MDT Print View

Have you checked places for hunters/fishermen like Cabela's? Or maybe look into the big and tall stores online. You may have to go the unconventional route to find some hiking pants. I don't know if swat team shops carry large sizes. Eddie Bauer carries very large sizes and in hiking style pants. Do a google on big and tall hiking pants and see what you'll find.

Columbia sells in big sizes.

Edited by leadfoot on 09/27/2009 21:18:04 MDT.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/27/2009 21:13:04 MDT Print View

Yeah I understand time for projects is hard to find. I just started a project to modify my BCB today...now I have to get it done before my next trip the week after next.

If you do find the time...I'd love to see the results.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/28/2009 00:41:16 MDT Print View

Mountain Hardwear and some Patagonia tends to be a looser fit. Neither will work if you are tall though.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/28/2009 02:52:55 MDT Print View

Tim, Cuben Kilt, you know it makes sense.

Donna Chester
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/28/2009 04:41:34 MDT Print View

Check local stores like Walmart and any men's dept. stores. Most carry large sizes.

L. T.
(Guinness1759) - F
Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/28/2009 07:06:48 MDT Print View

Since you have found pants that fit in the thighs, is it possible to take them to a tailoring shop to have the waist fitted? I have done that with street clothing and have had good results. Also, I don't think Beyond Fleece has been mentioned yet. I think they only do fleece and soft shell clothing. Customized sizing but it costs.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Hiking Clothes For FATTIES? on 09/28/2009 08:18:07 MDT Print View

Jeff, Kirk has found MH tall/big clothes before. Not easy to find but he had them in his closet. When he does find something he buys it if it fits, color be damned!