Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Sleeping Pad / Backpack Frame/Back Pad

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
MYOG Sleeping Pad / Backpack Frame/Back Pad on 09/26/2009 16:34:06 MDT Print View

I thought I would share a successful Multi-Use MYOG project I did some time ago...

I started out with a Nunatak Lunapad, cut it in half to approximately 20 x 40, then cut slits about 2/3 of the way through, and reinforced the slits with small strips of duct tape. This allows it to fold into four equal sections and fit into the sleeves next to my back in my GG Mariposa.

I have been using this as my main sleeping pad for about a year now, and find it to be very comfortable. It weighs in at 5.7oz, and because it is so stiff, I was able to remove my pack stays.

Here are a few photos;
Inserted into the backpack
MYOG sleeping pad 1

Laying flat
MYOG sleeping pad 2

Detail of foldMYOG sleeping pad 3

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
Works with velcro, too on 09/26/2009 18:08:06 MDT Print View

I did a similar thing with a pad from Gossamer Gear. Instead of duct tape to hold the pads together, I used 1 1/2 or 2 inch "hook" velcro to bridge the gap. I put self-adhesive "loop" velcro on both sides of the gap on the smooth side of the pad. This gives me more flexibility in using the pad(s) as sit pads, or how much pad to take on a trip. You can also make the pad less bulky by interlocking the curved sides together.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Works with velcro, too on 09/27/2009 15:19:33 MDT Print View

Scott,
Velcro makes sense if you are changing the length of the pad. Have you had any trouble with the sections staying together when you are sleeping on the pad (from moving around)?

As you can see in the photo, I was able to get the curved sides to mate together, and since I didn't cut all the way through the pad, they never move on me. The strips of duct tape are there simply to reinforce the joints to they don't separate.